7|° please, no

THE WEEKEND comes and goes just as fast and in the blink of an eye, Hope finds herself standing outside the CNU gates at half past seven in the morning, feeling incredulously exhausted

It is not as if she was out partying or anything of that bracket. In fact, her weekend was spent indoors, binge watching any series she could get a hold of.

Still, it somehow feels as if some of her bones are frozen and the light of the outside world is still hurting her eyes. Those are the perks of staying indoors without drawing the curtains for two whole days.

She sighs, taking a deep breath, enough to last her the whole day and then she walks on.

She has a class at 9am in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences —FASS. Most Mondays, she would go home immediately after but Felix texted her and informed her to meet at the Library at noon.

At that instant, she finds herself envying her friend, Alice's schedule. She has no class on Monday and most days, her classes don't start until 10am, despite her bulky major. Is Alice's major even bulky? Naturally, any major related to medicine should be bulky, but what exactly in the field of medicine does Alice study? Hope has never been bothered to recall —since she is sure that Alice has mentioned it here and there.

She scoffs and a small part of her wonders whether she's ignorant and selfish. That small part of her causes her to feel a twinge of guilt at the way she treats her friends and even herself.

But it's only a small part —not enough to enact change.

When Hope gets to the bridge on her way to FAAS, she falters in her step and stares down at the water flowing below, listening to the sound of its resilience. She barely pays attention to it most days but today after halting in her tracks, she leans a little on the rail and watches as it flows.

It's dirty and murky but it flows with just as much vigor and resilience and before she can help it, she finds herself making the comparison.

Like the water, she's dirty, taken advantage of, striped of all innocence but unlike the water, she can't find the strength to move on with life with vigor and an unbroken resilience.

One would think that three years would be enough to move past some boulders in life but apparently, there's no time period for how long it should take to get over past painful experiences. Pain doesn't come with a How to get over it, step by step manual.

Her mother used to tell her that her innocence might have been stripped from her but her love never was.

But Hope does not know what to think. Things are so much more complicated. So much more colored.

She knows she is getting late for class but at that moment, she finds that she doesn't care. She does not think twice about walking around the bridge to the cliff side and sitting on the misty grass below.