24 |° pray

{issa double update. make sure you have read chapter 23 before reading this. enjoy!}

LAWRENCE EXITS the class, following Hope closely behind

"Hey, can you please walk beside me or in front of me, just not behind me," she says, staring back at him with a strange look, one she tries to cover up with a suspicious glare.

Lawrence nods, a smile on his face, deciding that if it makes her feel comfortable, then that is all that's supposed to matter.

The moment they exit the building, the sun immediately fires its fiery darts their way, forcing both of them to squint. Lawrence notices Hope walking somewhat behind him trying to hide under the shade of his tall frame. He chuckles lightly and steps sideways, his shadow now covering her completely—at that moment, he could have sworn that the heat's intensity increases, almost as if it is punishing him for hiding a culprit.

"Uh, hey? Did you wrong the sun today?" Lawrence asks Hope, who's trailing behind him. Ironic how she didn't want him walking behind her but then goes ahead to do the exact same thing.

"I might have insulted it a few times last week, why do you ask?" Hope mutters causing him to snicker.

"It's glaring at me as if I'm hiding a culprit." He says, then goes on to add, "of course, the culprit being you."

She pokes his back lightly, mumbling something along the lines of shut up.

After a few moments of silence, Hope speaks up, "Did you know that the sun is eight light minutes away?"

Lawrence resists the urge to turn back and look at her, figuring that if he arched his body, then he wouldn't be doing a good job at covering her. instead, he subtly shakes his head. "No, I did not. What does that even mean?"

"Do you not have an ounce of astronomical knowledge in your bones?" Hope asks, suddenly reappearing from behind him looking befuddled, as if the thought of it is absolutely ridiculous.

"Well, I do have different kind of knowledge if you know what I mean," Lawrence smirks and then winks at her. Her gaze darts around at inhuman speed and she coughs, looking thoroughly taken aback. If it weren't for the chocolate coat on her skin, she'd be tomato red at this instant. As he stares down at her discomfort, he can't help but chuckle a little.

At the sound of it, she seems to recover by slapping his hand teasingly.

"Oh please, not that weak attempt at flirting." She scoffs.

"Don't pretend like it didn't get to you." He says.

"It didn't."

"It did."

She clears her throat loudly. "Anyways, as I was saying, what that means is that we receive the sun's light eight minutes after its initial release."