25|° impromptu

"SO, YOU and Lawrence, huh?" Alice says, once Law's Audi A6 pulls back into the road, blending into the evening traffic

"Arrived together, yes." Hope mutters, burying her hands into the pockets of her brown sweater.

Alice rolls her eyes as she inserts a key into the gate's lock. "I thought you guys had awful history or something."

"You thought right."

"And?"

"What?" Hope lifts an eyebrow.

The lock clicks and Alice pushes the gate forward. Hope walks in, Alice trailing behind her. Once they are inside, Alice locks back the gate. Before they can walk towards their shared apartment, Alice blocks Hope's path, raising a perfectly arched eyebrow in Hope's direction.

It reminds her of her mother, who has mastered the art quite perfectly, causing her to make one eyebrow arch to appear like a sharp drilling gaze into your very soul, daring you to lie.

Speaking of her mother, that woman must be in it with worry, seeing as Hope has barely held a conversation which can be concidered civil with her in such a long time. She has been wiggling out of her mother's inquisitive statements using one word replies and the excuse of getting late for class, having assignments to complete or being too exhausted to talk.

Of course, if this were happening face to face, she wouldn't be able to escape but she also knows that if she keeps up the act, her mother will just show up on her doorstep in an impromptu visit. As much as she loves her mother, that is something she does not want. Having your Kenyan mother visit you in your studio apartment is one of the most embarrassing things that can ever happen to you, what with the way they look pointedly at every male neighbor who might be living two doors down from you, as if in some sort of miraculous way, said neighbor can sneak into your house while asleep, and the way that they expect you to be doing assignments every other minute because hawakukuleta shule kucheza na wavulana. They didn't bring you to school to play with boys.

Hope resists the urge to cringe at the thought, making a mental note to call her mother once Alice is done questioning her.

"He has a twin, Collins." Hope shrugs.

She has no idea what it is supposed to explain. She hopes, even prays, that Alice will do her normal thinking out loud, giving Hope some kind of idea or clarity in the process.

"Right, yeah, Collins," Alice says her fingers going on to count some imaginary numbers in the air. "Collins is the guy you were fuming at the other day." She continues and despite herself, Hope can't help but look at the girl in amusement. "They both look so alike. I haven't interacted with Collins yet but Lawrence seems so lively and nice." She suddenly stops, looking at Hope with wide eyes. "Wait, if the guys are twins and they look so much alike and you have bad history with one of them, then which one is the douche?"