11|° what we have

{To all my silent readers, I love you

{To all my silent readers, I love you. Apologies for the late chapter. I'll try to see to it that this does not happen again. Enjoy!}

NATE DESCENDS the stairs in a rush, joy radiating from him. He's carrying a wrapped package in his hands, sporting a wide smile. Too wide for his tiny face.

At the bottom of the stairs, he begins to call for his granny.

"Gran!" Nate calls as he enters the kitchen. A glance around the place tells him that she is not inside. The same happens when he opens all the other rooms and checks all the possible places his gran could be.

"Where is she?" He asks no one in particular, as he bounces on his feet, nothing dulling his joy. He smiles and runs to check outside.

At last, he finds her at the back garden, bend over some crops.

"Gran!" Nate calls again excitedly.

"Child," his gran responds with a nod, a smile adorning her glowing face. She stands upright, all her attention on Nate.

"Gran, gran!" Nate repeats jumping up and down. "I got a gift." He says, waving the package on his hand.

His gran's smile turns into a frown for a millisecond before she sports back the smile.

Amidst his excitement, Nate barely notices.

"Can I see it?" His gran raises a perfectly arched eyebrow. "Who's it from?" She asks.

Nate hands the gift to his gran. "Dad."

The shock that shows on his gran's face must be apparent because Nate notices too -if the way he bites his lip nervously is any indication.

His gran barely says anything as she examines the wrapped package.

"When did it arrive?" She smiles, easing some of Nate's nerves.

"This morning," Nate replies innocently, staring longingly at the gift in his gran's hands.

"Can I open it?" His gran asks, smiling warmly at Nate.

"Yes, yes!" The boy jumps up and down and together, he and his gran unwrap the gift.

» «

"He what?!" Hope shrieks, massaging the side of her head with her index and middle fingers.

"Received a gift from his dad," her mother repeats patiently.

Hope sighs, biting her tongue to prevent herself from snapping. This was bound to happen soon, Hope knows that. But it's just too soon. Left with nothing to say, Hope begs her mother to take care of him while she deals with the issue.

"What do you mean deal with the issue?" Her mother enquires. "Could you possibly be in contact with the guy?"

Hope bites her lip feeling like a child being admonished. "I found out that they go to school here."