17|° no regrets

STUPID

STUPID. STUPID.

The urge to smack her head against the desk is as strong as the wind that accompanies a thunderstorm.

Hope was out of her mind and it was borderline stupid to put herself out there like that. But she hates it. She hates it when people stereotype others without even knowing them. She hates all these tribal boxes that people pin others into. It is all very unfair.

But that's just how life is, isn't it?

This is actually one of the reasons that her mom failed to give her a tribal name, choosing Amani instead which is a Swahili name.

This is what the world out there does to you for belonging to a certain tribe. Once you introduce yourself to someone, the second —and even sometimes the first —question they ask you is what tribe you come from.

Does it matter that bad? Is it crucial to anyone?But maybe she is being too extreme and overthinking this situation. A heavy sigh escapes her, the tension in her body leaving together with it.

Now all the adrenaline has died down and in as much as she does not regret doing what she did, she still thinks she is stupid for whatever.

When the lecture ends, Hope picks up her stuff, deciding to walk out of there as fast as possible but that is proven difficult when a hand encircles around her wrist, holding her back. She glances at the hand first and then looks up to see Lawrence's beautiful face. His full attention is on her and it causes Hope to squirm under his gaze.

Childish behavior. Hope reprimands herself, holding his gaze too.

"What?" Hope finally speaks after everyone is out of the room.

"What you did and what you said," Lawrence begins, "thank you for that."

It is evident to Hope that he means his gratitude and it is that reason alone that pours ice into her heart as everything about Lawrence and Collins hits her like a rapid sea wave. It all floods her mind at once and she recalls Nate's soft voice.

She recalls that one of the two twins is Nate's dad and she has no idea which one. Could this be a sick twisted game that the two are playing against her? Just why did the two of them come into Hope's life? Do they want to see if she's smart enough for their tricks?

Do they want to break her? Haven't they done enough damage already?

Hope grits her teeth, willing the thoughts to stop. But no matter just how hard she tries they don't stop. All the memories still break through. Hope doesn't know what to do. She is afraid and she's alone.

How can she ever confide in anyone about the most shameful events of her life? Her mother only found out because there was no other way around the truth. Alice on the other hand has received whatever half believable lies that Hope has managed to cook up. One of the lies being that Nate is Hope's younger brother. But how much longer until the lies run out and she sees the hurt on her best friend's face caused by Hope's mistrust?