15|° the bet

THINK TWICE thrift store is as busy as it has always been the countable times Hope has set foot in it

It would be a little over the board even for Hope herself to claim that she hates shopping. What turns her off though is visiting the thrift stores, especially days after the restocking day, because then you have to move through isles upon isles, sifting through different clothes, before you find something remotely fashionable.

This particular thrift store restocks every two weeks and the price decreases with each passing day, from five hundred shillings all the way to fifty shillings only. Hope releases a sigh of relief when she notes that today, the overall price is three hundred shillings. Of course, the relief has nothing to do with the price —after all even she would like to buy clothes worth fifty bob and below— but it is because she and Alice will not have to take forever before they find great clothes.

Speaking of Alice, the real culprit behind their spontaneous shopping spree. When Hope woke up this morning with a slight head ache, ditching school and sleeping through the day was the least of her concerns but Alice insisted that she had an even better idea than, in her exact words, moping around miserably. Thus, their involvement in shopping right now is a live manifestation of Alice's brilliant plan.

Hope rolls her eyes but smiles nonetheless. She must admit, the change of scenery can almost be likened to floating on air. It is almost as if campus grounds were suffocating her from inside out.

Of course the irony does not go unnoticed, seeing as CNU is the second largest university in Kenya; grounds, population and all.

"... this one, Hope?"

Hope snaps back into the now, glancing at her friend who is holding a lemonade long-sleeved knitted sweater. It is not those snuggly, baggy and very comfy sweaters but it is beautiful nonetheless. It is knitted with thick yarn and it does appear to be really comfortable.

"Huh?" Hope blinks looking at her friend.

"This knitted sweater, it's beautiful, isn't it?" Alice asks, looking back at it. She holds the fabric in her hands and almost sighs in satisfaction as if the fabric satisfies her closet needs.

"Yeah, very." Hope agrees. "You should get it."

"No, you get it." Alice says instead.

"What?" Hope asks incredulously. "You like it, you get it." Alice looks like she's going to give a counter argument but Hope stops her, "You know I don't do colors."

"There's a first time for everything," Alice shrugs, unhanging the sweater and then throwing it to Hope.

Hope catches it. Surprisingly, the fabric doesn't feel as it looks. It's really soft and warm and exactly what she'd want in a knitted sweater.

"Not with colors." Hope says moving ahead to look at a few shirts while placing the sweater back in Alice's possession.

"Well then, I'll just get it. With your weird fetish for oversize, knitted sweaters, you won't be able to stay away from it long." Alice shrugs adopting a tone of challenge.