4|° family time

LAWRENCE'S BALL rolls over, hitting nine pins in its wake

LAWRENCE'S BALL rolls over, hitting nine pins in its wake. Cheers erupt from behind him but he groans, aware of his current tie with Collins.

He chances a glance at his brother who is wearing an annoyingly smug smirk. "I'll beat you."

"It would be good for your ego," Lawrence replies with equal smugness, "seeing as it would be your first time."

Collins rolls his eyes before he walks back to the set table behind them and Lawrence follows after him.

Their parents are chatting animatedly but they stop when Lawrence and Collins approach, glancing up at them with stern innocent looks which certainly prove that they are guilty.

"Law, they are betting again," Collins says flatly.

Lawrence and Col know of their parents' habit of betting against Col every time they bawl. Their mother always protests, saying that it messes with Col's esteem but she always gives in after their father's insistence. 

"Against you, obviously." Lawrence states with a short chuckle just to irritate his brother.

"No, you don't get it," Collins says impatiently. "They are taking sides —"

"My side, hopefully, " Lawrence continues, struggling to keep a straight face at his brother's indignation.

"—which they promised they wouldn't do again," Collins finishes, shooting Lawrence a dirty look.

"We are not doing that," their mother speaks for the first time, placing one hand on top of the other and turning to look at their father.

"At all," their dad adds, furiously agreeing with their mother which further adds to their incrimination.

Lawrence and Collins exchange a significant look before they dig into their food silently. They both eat the fries first and then start on the chicken, eating it in a fashion that annoys their parents.

As they lick their fingers for the third time, their mother speaks, unable to hold it any longer.

"Boys, what are you doing?"

Lawrence and Collins stop and look at each other before turning to their parents with innocent looks. They shrug and then dig into their food again.

They lick their fingers again, maintaining the act for several seconds now.

This time, their dad speaks, "Boys, what are you doing?"

"Evidently," Lawrence starts without looking up.

"Law and I are eating," Collins continues.

"And trying to practice table manners in not speaking while eating," Lawrence picks it up.

"The way you both taught us." Collins finishes and both of them now look up.

Their parents exchange a look with each other. They are doing that thing that they do, when they are arguing silently.