Chapter FOUR: The Service

Honey Sinclaire

You had been much too unprepared to argue with Archer at his own father's funeral, or go against the intimidating orders of Iris Carrington.. So instead you had given him your apartment and building number before getting out of there as fast as possible.

Now, on the day of the reading, you're sitting in your living room wearing a pair of dark blue jeans adorned in six silver buttons and a high waist, coupled with a frilly white silk blouse.. When the door buzzer sounds, you hustle through your final preparations, stepping into your pointy black-leather pumps to smooth your beachy blonde curls down in the entryway mirror before opening the front door.

"Miss Sinclaire.." Archer's lingering emerald gaze travels down the length of your body, taking in your tight, form fitted outfit where it clings to your feminine, hourglass curves..

"Mr Carrington.." You bring his attention back to your face by speaking, but his fixation is focused on your lips, "Thank you for offering to drive me today, I really hope it's not a bother.."

You are sure it really must be a nuisance to him, since Iris was actually the one who had cornered him into making the offer..

But to your surprise, he smiles..

"Of course not." Two rows of perfect, straight white teeth dazzle you as he speaks, beams of moonlight beam so magnetising that you lose yourself for a moment.. "It will give me a chance to apologise for being such a dick yesterday."

Before you can stop yourself, a small bark of sarcastic laughter escapes you, "Hm.. I'd say you were more of a cock than a dick.."
You gasp, mortified and amused all at once as you clamp a hand over your mouth in disbelief at what you've just said to your new boss..

Oh, good lord!
Why did you say that Honey, Why!?

But Archer only laughs, a warm and velvety rumble that makes you feel all gooey inside, "However you want to put it, my behaviour was uncalled for.. I-uh, I made a snap judgment of you and it was wrong of me."

Even though you could have guessed at it, something about hearing directly that he had judged you so harshly sends ripples of anger and hurt shooting through your system, "Even if your judgement had been correct, Mr Carrington, you should still treat people with common decency, you know... I thought that you didn't want--well-- I thought that I was going to loose my job!"

His expression sours to stunned, as if he never once for a second considered such an obvious fear.. Though he at least has the good sense to look guilty, wincing in remorse, "I--uh.. That's not something you should be concerned about, Miss Sinclaire.."

"It's not?"  You ask in a pitch a little too high for your liking..

"Not at all, you are an invaluable resource at Carrington Corp.. From now on I'll be more careful.. Should we get going?" He motions towards the elevators and you nod, following him down to the basement parking garage where his shiny black Audi is parked..

He opens the passenger door for you and a static tingling shiver shoots though you as you brush by him to settle into the soft black leather of the seat, soaking in the scent of him, like black cherries and dark chocolate..

....

During the drive to Alex's Northside estate you and Archer make simple small talk and he asks you a few questions about other Carrington Corp staff members.

For all his haughty tension, you still feel strangely comfortable around him, however there is a sharp edge to his personality that you can't quite put your finger on..but you have a theory, so you decide to test it..

"Mr Carrington?.." You ask softly..

"Archer." He corrects quietly..

"Oh, uh, Okay.. Archer?"  You blush, wondering what it means to be on a first name basis with the new boss already..

"Yes, Honey?" He arches a dark brow, glancing over at you before turning back to the road..

"I just wanted to..Um.. Thank you, for your service.. You were in the military, right?.."
You can't help but notice his grip on the steering wheel tighten, his knuckles whitening under the pressure and you fear that maybe you have made a horrible mistake by bringing it up..

"How do you know that--?"

"I know Alex was a Marine, he used to tell me stories about his service days and the things he had seen.. Though there were just as many things he would never talk about at all.."  You turn to look out the window, fighting to keep your emotions in check, determined not to cry infront of him again..

"Some things aren't that easy to talk about, I suppose.." He answers with gentle sincerity, seemingly sensing your vulnerable state..

"I can't even begin to imagine that kind of experience.." There is a pause in the conversation and you can practically feel Archer squirming internally at the subject matter, "Anyhow, there's just -- I don't know -- this air about you and a strong sense of character, the same one Alex had.. I just figured you might have followed in his footsteps, family legacies and all that... I'm sorry, its not my place, I probably shouldn't have said anything.."

"No, it's okay.. Your observations are accurate.." He almost sounds appreciative, as if he weren't so uncomfortable discussing this topic he would be rather impressed by your powers of deduction...
Assessment of character is just one of your many skills, and that insightful ability was the reason Alex had promoted you to Executive Assistant after only a few months of working for him.

"So, you were in the Marines?"  You clarify, turning back to look at him and flushing with heat when you see he is as gorgeous as ever.. Even more so now that he opening up and isn't treating you like a plague to be avoided..

"Yeah, Snake Eater.. I made Gunnery Sargent before my discharge.." Running a hand back though his glossy dark locks, he throws the term out so casually, as if it supposed to mean something to you..
But it doesn't.. You have no idea what a 'Snake Eater' is, but you figure it must be a military term of some kind and decide not to press.. You can just look it up when you get home anyway..

"Wow.. He must have been so proud of you, Archer.." You don't mean to sound quite as amorous as you do, as he pulls the car though the huge iron gates of the estate and up the long driveway, not that you regret it.. You can't deny your interest in the man only grows more fervent, or the fact that you find him insanely attractive.. Heck, only a mad-woman wouldn't!

He parks by the grand mansion entrance, "I think he was.. But, I know for a fact you were his favorite prodigy.." He grins at you before getting out of the car and walking around to open your door..

He offers his huge paw to help you out and you take it, lightning striking you hard as he pulls you to your feet in front of him, only inches apart..

"Archer, I-- um--" Your voice is breathy, nervous and quickly interrupted by Iris and several others you recognise from the funeral, bursting through the front doors to greet you..

Iris waves you both over to where she waits, dressed in the sleekest black pantsuit you've ever seen, "Honey, Archer! Finally, we've been waiting for you!..Come inside, the lawyer is just itching to get started.."