Chapter FORTY EIGHT:The Stonewall

Honey Sinclaire

. . . o n e  w e e k  l a t e r . . .

"Please Archie!" You stand in the ensuite doorway trying to block him from escaping the bathroom with your body.. "Please, don't do this.." Tears streak your face and your shoulders shake with sobs..

"You need to move, baby." He puts his huge hands on either side of your arms, turning you in a circle so you are standing on opposite sides now..

He turns in the direction of the door, you reach out grabbing a handful of his black sweater.. "Wait.. Wait please.." He stops still. But he doesn't turn around..

"I need to go.." His voice is hard and unmoving..

"But why alone?.. Why can't you take Patrick and Jackson? Archer, you're not superman, you need backup!"

He doesn't give an inch.. "It's how I operate. There are too many unknowns. I won't risk their lives.."

Worry and fear consume you, and you're tired and frustrated from trying to convince Archer to listen to the bad feeling you've had for days now.. "Then don't YOU go.. Please Archie, if something happens to you.. I don't know what I'll do.".

He spins around, his brow furrowed and his jaw tight.. "If I died tonight, you would be fine Honey. You were fine before me, and you will be fine after.."

You blink at the harshness of his tone, fresh tears prickle in the corners of your eyes.. "So then, you would be fine if I died tonight?"

He scowls.. "Don't say that.."

You want to scream at him, slap him, can't he see what a hypocritical thing that is to say.. But he doesn't know.. He couldn't know the secret you've been keeping.. "But.." You try to protest but he shuts you down with his ice cold robot tactics..

"Honey.. Listen to me. I need to get to Bexley, and this is the only way. Patrick and Jackson can't know about this because the auction rules specifically state, no guests - just showing up would get them killed. The only reason I told you is so you can notify them if I don't come back.. Do you understand?"

You can't help it, the condescension of it all makes your blood boil.. "Don't fucking do that! I hate it when you do that!"

He frowns deeper.. "What?" He growls and you point a finger directly at his chest..

"That God damned, tin man-robot thing! You act like you don't have a heart! Please, stop and think about how this feels for me, Archie.. Can't you understand, my heart is breaking.."

His expression softens and he steps closer.. "Baby.. Please, I need to go.."

You squeeze your eyes shut to keep the tears in.. "Fine, go.." You say the words, but you don't let go of his sweater, which is now bunched in both of your fists at his chest...

He leans down and presses a tender kiss to your lips.. "I tried to warn you, Honey.. I don't deserve you. This is what I do.. who I am.." He watches his fingers slide through your silky hair to the ends before he tucks the loose curl behind your ear, looking into your eyes for the briefest moment before his shirt slips from your grasp as he turns and walks out the door..