Chapter TWENTY ONE: The Story

Honey Sinclaire

After Archer had brought you to new, atmosphere shattering, blissful heights, you had laid entwined together for hours sharing pillow talk... Opening up to each other with details of your mutually shared shitty childhoods and growing up too fast..

He tells you military tales about training and tours, and about his longstanding love of classic movies.. You share with him your hopes for the future, the life you've always dreamed of, the family you never had... And you tell him about your fears in the present that, those things you have wanted so badly may just never be yours...

He makes you feel warm and protected, a security you have longed for your entire life.. The way he looks at you, eyes filled with desire and something more.. Something deep and yearning..

You're more convinced than ever that the connection you share with Archer is real.. Long-lasting.. And even though your new normal is the very definition of insanity.. You never want to go back to the way life was before you met him..

But, eventually you both had to move, and too soon it came time for him to return you home.. You had let him come up to your apartment since he had insisted on checking your security, which you had thought to be a euphemism of some kind, but it turned out he actually wanted to inspect the security..

After going over the building door alarm and later all the locks in your apartment twice, he had finally relaxed a little.. Well, as much as Archer West seems to ever relax, which is barely at all..

You made macaroni for the two of you, which you ate together in a comfortable silence... Like a real couple... Except for the sounds of Archer enjoying his meal and complimenting your southern cooking skills, you happily watch him eat while sipping on your glass of sweet-tea..

Then he took you to bed, pleasing you in ways only he could, until you were weak and exhausted..

Sometime during the middle of the night, his phone began buzzing and it wasn't long until he was out of bed, dressed and kissing you while whispering sweet goodbyes..

Now, in the golden morning sunlight, you smile dreamily as your brain kicks into gear, recalling the magic of last night and you open your bleary eyes with a stretch and a yawn.

Your phone ringer pings from the bedside table.. Archer must have returned it before he left..

Reaching over, you grab the device and swipe at it, immediately Yevette's name fills the screen.. 100s of missed calls and text notifications pop up..

You click the most recent voicemail to hear her pitchy, panicked tone, "Honey.. I am going to the police today if I don't hear from you.. Please, I don't know if you left town, or are in some kind of trouble? Is this about Alex? I just... I need to know you are okay girl, call me back!"

She sounds so distressed you hit redial without thinking.. She picks up on the second ring, "HONEY!? HONEY IS THAT YOU?!"

Her voice comes out so shrill you have to pull the speaker away from you to keep your eardrums from bursting.. "Whoa! Yes it's me Yevie!"

"Oh my god, Honey! I'm so relieved to hear your voice, I've been so worried.. Where the hell have you been!?"
You can hear the relief in her tone as the tension leaves her voice to be replaced with just a hint of anger..

This is why thinking before calling her back would have been a good idea, gou have no idea how to explain..
"Im so sorry Yevette.. I should have called.. Umm... I was.." You don't want to lie to your friend.. But you obviously can't tell her the truth..
"I was with Archer - - I mean - - Mr Carrington.." So you opt for a half truth..

She clucks teasingly, "Uh... I'm sorry, I thought I just heard you say.. You were with a boy?"

You giggle... "Yes Yeeves, I was with a boy.."

Yevette gasps in realisation.."Wait a minute.. Carrington, as in our new boss 'Carrington'?"
She sounds positively scandalised..

"Hm?.. Oh, Yeah, that's the one.." You try to keep your cadence casual and airy.. Not quite pulling it off convincingly..

"For a week!? Jeeze, Honey.. What, did he have you tied up in his basement or something?" She laughs, with no idea how close she is to almost being right..

You sigh, remembering the time you actually did spend with Archer.. "Something like that.."
You hesitate, plotting your path through this reluctant deception.. "We were.. Getting to know each other.."

She squeals.. "Ooh girl! You got it good, didn't you?.. He's so fit.. What was his body like, big?.. Hard?"

You're glad she can't see the flame in your cheeks at her question... "It's.. Uh, solid.. Rock solid, Yevie."

"Ughh, that's so hot!" She groans jokingly... "But seriously.. You and the boss.. Do you think that's, like, the best idea, Honey?"

You know her concern is coming from a good place, so you do your best to reassure her without adding more lies.. "Honestly.. I'm not sure.. But I feel something for him I can't explain.."
This part is true so it's a lot easier for you to say.. "I need to see if there is something there.."

There's a pause over the line before she hums.. "Okay.. I mean, he seems nice enough around the office.. Nobody hates him or anything.." You can hear the doubt in her voice.. "He's just--"

You immediately feel defensive.. "He's what?"

"He's gruffer than somebody I would have expected you to date is all.. " She explains quickly..

You shake your head, smiling to yourself.. Knowing just how wrong she is... "He's not that gruff, once you get to know him.. Actually.. he's kind of a sweetheart."

Her tone lightens.. "Well then, I'm happy for you, Honey! Lord knows you needed to get laid.." She chuckles,
"So, Should I come over for a girls night so you can tell me all about him.."

After being cooped up in the safehouse for a week with only Patrick and Jackson around, you're dying for some company that doesn't come in the form of a super hot super spy.. Just the idea of seeing her brings a smile to your face, "Lord, yes!"

Yevette cheers excitedly, "Yesss, I'll pick up the wine on my way!"

.....

An hour later, Yevette stands in your doorway holding a bottle of Pinot like a coveted treasure..