Chapter TEN

Honey Sinclaire

"Clear!"  You hear Archer's booming voice shout out to echo around the empty office and for a second, you think he's talking to you..

Until another man's voice, one with a distinct Irish accent calls back, "All clear, Boss!"

The heavy thud of footsteps on carpet draws nearer to the large cherry-wood desk you now hide beneath.. Your breath is frozen in your chest and your eyes are squeezed tightly shut in a useless attempt to block out the terror..

"Hey.." At the sound of his sympathetic, soft tone you open your eyes slowly to see Archer crouched in front of you, his usual cool, passive expression replaced by one of heartwarming concern..

"A-Archie?"  You whimper, barely able to speak though the shock..

"Yeah baby.. I'm here.." His volume is soft and low as he reaches out tucking your hair behind your ear, stroking your cheek gently, "You okay, Honey? Are you hurt?"

His eyes roam over your shaking body, seeking out anything out of place or injured and you shake your head.."No.. I mean--yes.. I'm--I'm fine.." Crawling out from beneath the desk in a rather unladylike fashion, Archer offers his hand and helps to pull you to your feet, "Archer what are you doing here?.. Who was that guy?"

Your mind swirls and swims with questions as you search his stony face for answers, waiting for some kind of reply or a reaction.. Anything that would explain what the heck is going on!

Instead he shifts his weight uncomfortably and averts his gaze, seeking out the Irish-man whose voice you'd heard earlier ..
A coldness creeps up your spine and you can pinpoint the very second Archer Carrington cuts you out and the glimmer of affection in his eye goes dark.. He switches off completely, becoming militant, rigid and frosty..

A dull ache forms in your chest to experience such cool detachment.. His hot and cold treatment is starting to wear on your emotions and the crazed gunman had shaken loose the last of your strength..

"O'connor, is the target secure?" Archer asks, drawing his shoulders back into a commanding stance, his voice heavy with authority ..

"Ney.. The fecker came prepared with a damn good exit strategy, Boss.." Patrick stands in the doorway, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly and he shrugs a shoulder at Archer before turing those baby -blues on you.. "Hiya there, sweetheart.. Yer' alrite' then?"

You nod dumbly as he grins at you, two cheeky dimples puckering his cheeks, accentuating his chiseled, angular features.. With sandy blonde hair, a fair complexion and a lean yet muscular build.. Patrick is poured into a simple black tee and dark blue jeans.. The man looks like he just stepped straight from the pages of a high-end fashion magazine..

He's no Archer, but you're not blind, he's still super hunky and incredibly smiley!

"Uh..Hi.."  You squeak as you stare back at him, trying to place where you have seen him before.. It isn't long before it dawns on you that this is the same man who had been at Alex's will reading.. The guy had inherited Alex's most treasured classic Automobile collection, so you know he was close to Alex too..

Maybe  he is Archer's best friend?.. But then why is he here?

There isn't much longer for you to ponder those questions before Archer is creating new ones, speaking into the lapel of his jacket he grunts, "Ford, is the building secure?"
He presses a finger against his ear, like he is receiving some find of feedback and that hard-line, steady expression of his never falters..

The gears of your mind begin to click and whirr, spinning in your head as you stand there, dumbfounded, your eyes soon falling to the shiny silver and black pistol in his hand at his side..
Your stomach churns and your blood roars in your ears as you're hit with a deafening realisation.. This man is not at all who he said he was..

Betrayal and fear mix together down in the depths of your belly and the curiosity spills from your lips before you can contain them.. Sounding like more of a statement than a question.. "Who the hell are you?"