Chapter TWENTY FOUR: The Suit

Honey Sinclaire

You push Archer's office door open to see him sitting behind the desk, head in his hands looking tired and stressed.. He must hear you step into the room, because his head snaps up.. As soon as he sees you his face brightens.. "Hey baby.." His voice is warm and affectionate..

"Hey yourself, handsome.." You cross the floor, circling the desk, he spins in his chair to face you and you move to stand between his legs, looking down at him.. "You look like you haven't slept in days, Archie.. Is everything alright?"

He lifts his hands to gently rest them on either side of your waist, sliding his thumbs up and down over your hip bones, the slinky fabric of your tight pencil skirt doing nothing to dampen the delicious friction of his touch.. "I'm just not cut out for this office work bullshit.."

You laugh, ignoring the insult to your career as you silently decide not to mention your conversation with Patrick earlier.. "You mean, being CEO of Carrington Corp?"

He laughs dryly.. "Hm, I'm not the CEO, Honey.. I'm just a soldier dressed up in a suit.. You're the CEO.. I've seen how hard you work over the last few days, this place wouldn't be running without you right now.. Alex couldn't have made a better choice.."

You're heart swells with pride.. His opinion meaning so much to you.. You run your hand through his soft cocoa hair, scratching gently on his scalp with your manicured nails.. His eyes drift closed and he hums, clearly enjoying the sensation...

"You're more than just a soldier, Archie.." You speak softly, carefully choosing your words.. "You're my hero .. You risk your life to protect people who don't even know they're in danger..
He scoffs and you smirk, this guy does not take compliments well.. It seems impossible that he doesn't see in himself what is so obvious to everyone else.. Especially you,
"You're a man with a very big heart.. Among other things.. A man who, I would very much like to take me home right now and--"

Archer blows out a disappointed breath.. "I'm not a hero.. And I hate that word.." Sounding almost sad..
There's a long pause while you continue to stroke his hair.. You begin to wonder what he is thinking.. Finally, he breaks the silence.. "Honey.." He looks up at you with remorseful eyes.. "I'm sorry.."

Your hand stills.. "You're sorry? What for?"
Oh god, what now? You swear your heart stops..

"I did want to spend time with you tonight, but Iris just called.. She wants me to meet with her.. I have to go.." He leans back in his chair, looking up at you through apologetic eyes..

You let out the breath you hadn't realised you'd been holding.. "Oh.. I'm not going to lie, that's disappointing.. I was looking forward to spending time with you too.."

He opens his mouth to apologise but you don't let him.. "Archie, I'll be fine.. Do whatever it is you need to do to catch Alex's killer.."

"You mean Asher.. And he's more than just a killer Honey.." His gaze turns pointed, narrowing on you..

You nod thoughtfully.. "Okay, then do whatever you need to do to catch Asher.." You reach out to stroke his cheek, wishing you could offer your help.. But you don't see how you would be of any use.. So instead you ask, hopefully.. "Maybe you could stop by my apartment after your meeting?" At the very least you could make sure he eats a proper meal and gets some rest, instead of working all night, like you know he will..

He shakes his head.. "Iris.. She's, uh, not happy with me.. I don't know how long it's going to take.."

"Oh.. Okay.." You try to hide your disappointment but he sees through your half smile..

"I want to though, baby.." He tugs you closer.. "I really want to.. If I can get away you know I'll be there.. How about I call you?.."

That does a lot to reassure you and your smile quickly becomes very genuine.. After all, he wouldn't say he wants to if he didn't and he probably wouldn't suggest calling you after his meeting either.. "That sounds good to me.."
You take a step to the side and slide yourself to sit on his desk in front of him.. "So.. Do you need to go meet Iris right away.. Or.. Do we have a couple of minutes?"

His hands begin to wander down over your hips to caress your thighs, inching the hemline of your skirt higher as he raises a mischievous eyebrow... "A couple minutes?" A sly, cheshire-cat-like grin spreads across his lips.. "Fuck that, Iris can wait an hour.."