Chapter 22; Riptide

*Danielle's pov*

The alarm clock buzzed in my ear as I opened my eyes awake.

I shut off the alarm, and got out of bed.

I stepped into the shower, put on fresh clothes, and walked out the door.

The facility was packed today, which was unusual. It's probably because Christmas just ended and family members want to give their people presents.

A nurse came up to me and smiled.

"Ms. Danielle Hanes?" She asked, and I nodded. "You have family that wants to see you." She said.

"Family? The only people I have is..." I thought for a second. "My aunt and uncle." I said through my teeth.

"Right this way." She said, as she guided me to the cafeteria.

They sat at the far end of the room. They both looked anxious to see me which surprised me, because the last time I saw them looking like this was when I was first given to them.

The nurse made me sit in front of them, I put on a fake smile.

"Danielle..so good to, uh, see you again." She patted my hand awkwardly.

"Why are you here?" I asked.

"Don't be rude. Be glad we actually visited you." My uncle said.

"Yes, dear. We brought you a present." She said, as she handed me a bag filled with multicolored tissue paper. I furrowed my eyebrows.

"You've never given me presents, even when I was little." I said, as I took the bag.

"Times have changed, sweetheart." she smiled. I almost gagged. I hated it when she called me names like that.

"Open it." My uncle instructed.

I took out the tissue paper from the bag and looked inside of it.

"Uh...thank you?" I said, taking out a picture frame.

It was just a plane black picture frame. There was no picture inside.

"We have a photo for you, too." She said, as she reached in her bag to hand me a photo.

It was a picture of my mom and dad. They were both standing behind a little girl, a baby, who had a cake in front of her. There was a number five candle on top of the cake. The little girl had cake all over her mouth.

"What is this?" I asked.

"It's you, on your fifth birthday." My aunt explained.

"How'd you get it?"

"We..we have custody over the house, over everything. We found this picture as we were cleaning out the house." She said.

"We came to say goodbye. We're moving to Florida." My uncle said.

I smiled, for real this time. They made my life hell anyways.

"Oh, I'm sorry." I said.

"Come here." My aunt said, pulling me into a hug.

I just patted her back, I didn't hug her.

"I'm really going to miss you.." I said.

"What do you mean? You're coming with us." My uncle said.

"No, I am not coming with you. I am an adult and I can live here on my own." I said. They just laughed.

"You haven't left this place in years! Plus you'll have no where to go-"