Chapter 4: You're Set!

You opened the doors to the gym and embraced the feeling of the cool air blasting across your face. You went up to the other team members and bowed politely.

"T-thank you for allowing me to join your practice!" You exclaimed nervously.

"No problem!" Daichi responded.

"It's our pleasure," Sugawara added kindly, giving one of his signature smiles. You felt your cheeks heat up the slightest bit.

The teams separated and you walked to your side. They talked about game strategies. You'd be used as a wing spiker, so you'd have to run up front a lot. You'd also have to receive attacks from the other team. Thank goodness you understood everything they said since your mother used to play volleyball.

"You guys are going down!" Hinata exclaimed from across the court. "We're gonna win!"

Daichi chuckled. "We'll see about that."

The game started, and you were practically shaking-

You watched as the opposing team served, the ball spiraling towards you. Already...?! You thought in panic. The game had barely started! You pleaded for your legs to move, but you were frozen. A flash of silver greeted your vision. Sugawara!

He dashed over to your side and hit the ball away, calling for a cover. Crap! He couldn't set! Nobody was there yet! Instinct washed over you as you leaped towards the ball, pulling your hands up.

Gently, you pushed upwards and placed your fingertips on the ball. Confident about where it would go, you sent it towards Asahi, the Ace. You had to think it through first. If you adjusted your arms a bit to the right, the point of impact would be directly in front of the net. If you moved to the left just a bit, he'd be able to hit it, spot on.

If you delayed the attack just a little, you could shut down the blockers, since the middle blocker's jump would reach the peak too early. If you rotated the ball towards you the slightest bit- then it'd set the third year up for the perfect cross-court attack! It looked like you were setting to the left, which would throw off the libero when it really went to the right. You grinned, knowing that your technique could actually throw them all off! Then it was time to put it in action. (and author-chan is going to pretend she knows what she's talking about~)

"Don't hit with your palm! It shouldn't make a slapping noise when you set. You have to follow through with the ball, okay? Now, the technique of the set is completely different! It matters whether or not the spiker can think through the place to hit! You can give them a little hint, though, if you place the ball just right..."

Now you were sure.

"ASAHI!" You called. Perfect. He sprinted up as the ball rebounded off of your hands. Hinata jumped. The volleyball reached him right at the point of impact! Hinata was already going back down... He shot it across the court, to the other team's demise. Noya wasn't able to make it and slid across the court with a devastating thud.

"Dammit!" He cursed. "I'll get it next time—"

But then all eyes were on you, for the second time today.

You bowed towards Sugawara. "I-I'm sorry!"

Clearly flustered, he lowered his head to meet your eyes. "Sorry? That was an amazing set!"

"Yeah! It was perfect!" Asahi added.

"Great job, (L/N)!" Daichi cheered. Your team went up to you to give you high-fives and say how proud they were. Except Tsukki. Who knows what that salty prehistoric lizard thinks? Maybe Yamaguchi, who was staring, wide-eyed at the sidelines.