Chapter 14: Choice C

"But I am fine. It doesn't matter," You said calmly, hiding your pain behind the mask you used far too often.

"You are obviously not fine," The setter pointed out bluntly, faint annoyance spelled out on his pretty- er, uh, nonchalant- countenance. Actually he looked kind of worried. Or- sad? Angry? Damn, his face was difficult to read.

Nonetheless, you sighed and put on a forced smile.

"I'm fine! Just a bit tired and emotional, I'll be better when we get back to class," You said, your voice catching on the last few words. It should be convincing enough, you figured. But boy were you wrong. You had forgotten that Sugawara had overprotective mother instincts, and to him, it was like reading an open book.

"Yeah, you're fine, and that's exactly why you came out here to cry," He replied sarcastically.

You let out a little "eep!" in surprise, his motherly intuition was more spot-on than you could've ever anticipated. Or you were just predictable. You know what, let's give you the benefit of a doubt and blame the 2D fictional character. He is a Sugamama after all.

Anyways, you were so called-out that it felt as if your own reactions were invalidated. Awkward and fidgeting, you did whatever you could to avoid the embarrassing topic.

"I-I've said it three times already, I'm fine. I don't know what you're talking about," You repeated. Maybe... just maybe if you said it enough, you'd believe it. "You don't need to worry about me. I'm okay. I don't have a reason to not be okay, either. I'm fine."

You felt like you were about to ramble, so you closed your mouth.

"(Y/n)..." Sugawara turned to face you. There was something about his tone... this time, you didn't try to avoid eye contact. "It's okay to not be okay. Know that I'm here for you. I heard you earlier. I won't leave you, and you won't be alone. You're never alone."

Tears threatened to escape your eyes as you pushed away what you could not understand. You pushed away your own feelings.

"You don't have to tell me what happened," Suga stated calmly, but you could already tell by his tone that he was able to piece together a general idea of what you were upset about.

A boy.

And your fears of abandonment and loss.

And although you had only known him for two days, although he did not understand your full situation, you could tell he was genuine. That he cared. That he wouldn't leave you.

And for you, that was enough.

"Thank you, Sugawara."

You placed your hand on his, taking in the emotions that surged through one singular touch.

He didn't need to listen to your problems.

You didn't need to put on that overused facade. You found that he was enough.

Enough for you to look at his smile and smile back.

Enough for you to feel like the rest of the world disappeared, and that was okay.

Enough for you to know that he would never dream of leaving you.

That... you were never alone...

"TOBE FLYYYYYY-"

You took your hand away, your face quick to react and turn fifty shades of red.

Trying to hide your flustered state, you picked up your phone and answered it without even looking at who had called.

"Y-Yes!"

An all-too familiar voice ringing in your ear caused your breath to hitch.

The anticipation caused your heart to rise to your throat.

"(Y/n)?"

~583 words~

sorry choice D not done yet!!

**IMPORTANT** the story now takes place just before Tokyo Training camp, no timeskips, just a change to the og setting