Chapter 50

"Wow!" Thelma gasped as she stared at the window. Alex and Thelma were in a black limousine and the paparazzi had encircled it.

The moon was out by the time they got to the party venue. Light flashed at every corner giving a blinding effect on their eyes.

Thelma glanced at the red carpet rolled out like a tongue in front of the big building. That was their target; to get to that entrance.

Thelma gulped and bit her inner cheek.

There are a lot of people! The crowd is freaking me out! I don't feel comfortable with this. I feel like going home.

Alex slipped his hands into hers. He gave it a gentle squeeze and leaned closer.

"It's okay! I'm right here. Just hold onto me while I lead the way" he whispered into her ears with his husky voice. Her cheek tinted and she nodded.

A swarm of people gathered when Alex opened the door. He slid out and stretched a hand to Thelma. Thelma took hold of his hand and he led her through the crowd.

Alexander Roger, is it true that Anthony Russo sabotaged your business?

I heard that you sued him. Is that true?

Isn't Thelma Logan your assistant? Why is she your date? Is there something going on between you?

The questions kept coming. Thelma glanced at the reporter that asked about her relationship with Alex. She winced when a light flashed at her face. Her body stiffened but Alex was able to lead her into the building. She sighed in relief as soon as they settled on their reserved table.

"Have you settled the case with Anthony Russo?" Thelma asked.

"Yes! He has a big fine to pay," he sniggered and smiled.

"Oh!" she chuckled. "So the business is going fine?"

"Yeah! I've got everything under control. And..." he paused like he just remembered something. His eyes traveled to Thelma's and he cocked a brow.

"What's wrong?" she questioned, feeling uneasy under his sudden gaze.

"What about Theresa? I didn't see her today!"

Thelma bit her inner cheek. She wanted to roll her eyes but held back.

Why do you suddenly care? She is fine without you!

"Is there something wrong?" Alex asked.

"No! Theresa is good. She went shopping"

"Oh! Hmm..okay!" he pursed his lips and nodded.

After a brief silence, Alex spoke up, "I have some important people you talk to. I think your notepad and pen would be useful"

Thelma nodded and pulled them out. "Should I come along?"

"Of course!" he stood up. "Let's go!"

They strolled among the elegant guests. All were in their best attires. The guests consisted of rich businessmen and women around the world.

Thelma slumped her shoulder and wiggles behind Alex. She shouldn't have worn heels. She took slow steps but her body still wiggled due to her inbalance.

I should tell Alex about it.

She stretched her index finger to tap his shoulder. An unexpected arm wrapped her waist and jerked her backwards. She yelped and an 'oomph' sound escaped her lips when her back slammed a firm chest.