Chapter 54

Theresa needed to hear the truth from her father. She wanted to know if her nanny was right about him. Did her father really choose money over his family?

She barged into the mansion and ran to her father's room. She narrowed her eyes at him as soon as she got in. He sat on a couch, flipping through a newspaper. An eyeglass sat askew on his pointed nose. He peered at her and asked, "Have you bought the new mansion?"

"Dad!" Theresa yelled, ignoring his first words. "We need to talk!"

"About money?" he cocked a brow. "Sure!"

"It's not about money!" she snapped and stomped towards the couch. She snatched the newspaper from his wrinkled hands and flung it. The papers flew in the air and landed at different corners of the room.

"Dad, I want the truth!"

"What truth?"

"How did mom die?"

Mr Logan's eyes went round. He cleared his throat and stood up. He moved and stopped close to Theresa. His bulging eyes scrutinized her.

"You need to move on, dear! I know you miss your mother but..."

Theresa cut him off and rose her hand in the air. "Stop, dad! That's not what I am asking!"

"Then, what are you asking?"

"I want to believe that you have never lied to me. I trust you, dad!" she leaned and her eyes jabbed into his. "So answer me! Was mom's last words really avenge me?"

Mr Logan stiffened and clenched his fist. His facial features hardened.

"Yes, it was!"

Theresa could see fear written boldly on his face. He wiped the beads of sweat on his forehead and walked towards a window.

"Yes! That were her last words!" he croaked.

"Then, why do I feel like you are lying to me?" she asked and folded her arms. Her dad froze. His muscles were taut. He spun on his heels and faced her.

"Why do I feel like you are doubting me?" her dad retorted.

Theresa's biggest fear was about to take place. She could sense it. Her dad was trying to hide something from her. His outer appearance said it all.

Was Maria right about my father? Is he selfish and greedy?

"Dad, who was Mr Roger to you?"

"An enemy!"

"How did mom die?"

"She needed to do an operation but I didn't have money for it. Mr Roger was the cause of my bankruptcy. Your mom died before we could get the money for the operation" he explained.

"So, you couldn't take loan to save your wife's life?"

"Err....I..I did but it wasn't enough!"

"How did Mr Roger cause your bankruptcy?"

"He is a bad, greedy and selfish man. He envies me alot!"

"That's not the answer to my question!"

Mr Logan eyed his daughter. Theresa was glaring at him. His forehead creased and he questioned "I guess Maria told you something?"

"Yes, she did!"

"That woman is useless!" he muttered.

"Huh? What did you say?"

"I said that what she told you was a lie!"

"Oh, really? Prove it!"

Mr Logan frowned and took heavy steps to his bed. He sat on it and clasped his hands on his thigh.