Chapter 3

GREY’S POV

From the day I laid eyes on her I knew she would be my undoing. I had never given much thought to how having a mate would impact my life but it had fast become evident that my life was about to be flipped on its axis. A mate…a human mate at that, was never something I had desired. Would it make me stronger? Sure. With that, would follow an unparalleled desire to serve and protect her from any threat. She would leave me vulnerable to the enemy’s evil ploys.

A year had passed since I first saw her upon my arrival at the Crescent Pack. I usually didn’t bother attending inter-pack relations gatherings as most Alphas saw it as an opportunity to inveigle me to not seize their territories. Yet, I find myself back at the Crescent Pack subjected to listening to Alpha Cole and his other honourable guests blabber on about a possible rogue threat. I could not be bothered. Being one of the biggest and strongest pack in the world, we seldom had any rogue problems and if there was even word on a possible threat, it was dealt with swiftly, setting example that we weren’t to be messed with.

The only thing on my mind was her. My little mate. I had waited long enough to take her home. Tonight, I would lay claim on her, after endless months of being patient at the plea of her parents. She had only been seventeen when I saw her, naïve and yet to shift. The circumstances of her upbringing had called for the wait I had to endure.

Half werewolf and half human, raised on human principles oblivious to the Supernatural world until her teenage years, my mate was as frail as they come. Although she hadn’t shifted in the peak year, I had still hoped that her dormant werewolf gene would ascend. That hope went out the window when she turned eighteen a few days ago and still no shift. It seemed her human gene was more dominant.

I grew more agitated as minutes ticked by. Seeing her earlier, though at a distance had chipped away at the last shred of patience that remained. Tonight, the wait would end. I abruptly stand from my position, drawing everyone attention. I could smell their fear as they wondered what had me on edge.
Without a word, I exit the room. As I enter the hallway, I catch a whiff of her scent, a cross between sweet and sultry. Albeit faint, the intoxicating fragrance has Mason clawing at me in anxious anticipation to be united with our mate.

I follow the scent and find myself at the top of the dining space that has been transformed into a grand hall. Guests had just started arriving as the empty space begins to fill with anxious teenage girls looking to find mates by the end of the night. The tradition although as dated as debutant balls did make it easier for wolfs to find their mates.

I watch her from a distance as she clings to the side of a female, I assume to be her friend. The red dress that she wears accentuates all the parts of her body that would have any man falling at her feet. Her curvy figure and perky breasts had every unmated wolf turning to catch a second glimpse as she walked by, their hungry eyes lingering longer than my inner beast appreciated. Oh, but she remained oblivious to the attention she drew, her innocent chocolate brown eyes glimmering in the dimly lit room as she looked around, taking in her surroundings. The mere sight of her was causing an uncomfortable tightening in my slacks.

My eyes follow her every motion as she navigates her way through the crowd. I all but growl at the sight of some pup grabbing hold of her by the hip, the discomfort evident in her stature. I see red as I am overcome by a burning rage as the green monster rears its head. A grip on my arm halts my movements as my beta moves to stop me.

“Calm down brother. No need to make a scene. She will be yours soon enough.”

I take in a deep breath as I try to regain control, putting my inner beast on a leash. The last thing I wanted was my mate first memory of me to be that of an untamed beast filled with uncontrollable rage.

She would be mine soon enough.

***

The pack house was already flooded with people when we arrived. I must admit, it wasn’t what I had expected. What was normally the pack house lounge and dining area had been transformed into a grand hall, elegantly themed with subtle earth tones. Each guest was given an eye mask as they entered through the main entrance, mine a black lacey mask that complimented my red dress effortlessly. I hold on to it rather than putting it on immediately as we walk in. With Sam at my side, we marvel as we take in our surrounding.

Navigating her way through the crowd, she steers us to towards the part of the hall that appears to be secluded for mostly teenagers.

“I need a drink and you sure look like you could do with one yourself. Let’s find the mini bar. I need liquid courage and you my darling bestie need to loosen up.”

She ushers us through the crowd on a quest to find the mini bar.

“What I need, is to get out of these heels, my feet are killing me.’’

I shout over the blurring music as I try to keep up.

When our quest finally comes to completion Sam gets a glass of champagne and I settle for a glass of water. A blonde hunk comes up to us, flirting with Sam oblivious to my presence. I politely excuse myself and embark on a search for a familiar presence. On my way I bump into a couple of guys whose lustful gazes make my skin crawl in discomfort. Some go as far as trying to make a pass at me. I politely brush them off as I manoeuvre my way through the crowd.

I venture off, in search for a quiet place where I can be alone, away from the noisy crowd. On my way out I bump into the man of the hour, Bradley. He seems to not recognise me is drunken state. Nothing could have prepared me for what he did next.  He draws me into him, my body flush against his as he whispers despicable things into my ear. Disgusted, I push him back with as much force as I can conjure.

“Come on baby, don’t be such a tease.” He smirks, the sight instantly making my stomach churn.

I flip him the middle finger as I continue on my way. Aggravated by my behaviour and surely spotting a bruised ego, he painfully holds me by the wrist, instantly halting my attempt at an escape.

“Look here, you little tart, clearly you are not from around here, otherwise you would know that I run the show and I don’t take lightly to disrespect.” He says, trying to intimidate me, his revolting breath making me sick to the stomach.

I scoff at his failed intimidation. Yanking my hand from his grip, I turn and glare straight at him.

“Little Bradley, I don’t think your uncle would approve of you making a pass at his daughter, now would he?” I spit, saturating every word with venom.

I turn towards the nearest exit, not bothering to wait for a response.