Chapter 8

I wandered aimlessly, soul burdened by what was to become of my life. The swirling wind went straight through to my aching bones as I walked past broken glass on the paved sidewalks of my neighbourhood, my troubled heart seeking the unknown. I felt lost as the venom of betrayal lingered in my veins.

Grey’s threat was etched on my mind. Though he had seemed relatively calm when he threatened, I had no doubt the lengths he would go to get what he wanted. It seemed the only way out would be to become a runaway. Though I had no means or definite plan, it was worth the try.

I texted the only person who I knew would understand my predicament and possibly help me without judgement.

I need to see you.

I’ll be there in 10. He replied a second later

Park a few streets down, I’ll explain later.  

I did not want to risk anyone seeing him near the house. It was mission critical that no one suspect that I had any help in my escape.

True to his word Xander arrived no more than 10 minutes later. We drove in silence towards our usual spot by the lakeside. The waterworks unleashed as soon as the car came to a stop. Xander held me as I bawled my eyes out on his shoulder, in the confined space of his Jeep. My legs straddled him in his seat as he drew comforting circles on my back. To an onlooker we would have seemed like two teenagers entangled in the heat of passion. Had it been any other day I would have stopped to think how intimate the position we were in was and what it meant for our friendship yet in that moment I welcomed his touch.

After a while I managed to stop crying. I let if all out, leaving myself bare and exposed before him. He listened attentively, passing no judgement, only offering silent comfort.

“Who did you say was the Alpha who is claiming to be your mate?” He questions when I finish unburdening.

“I think they said his name was Alpha Grey.” I try to recall what my mother had said.

“Alpha Grey as in the Alpha of the Lycan Blood pack?”

Shock slowly washes over his features followed by concern and what could only be pity.

“You know him?”

“His reputation precedes him. He is the monster in the tales that parents tell their pups to scare them into good behaviour. His rule is known by every werewolf across the world. As a direct descendent of Lycan blood, he is kind of what you would regard as royalty among our kind. His family presides over the global council of werewolves.”

“Can’t my parents fight this, we could involve Alpha Cole, surely he would help. He is after all Ben’s brother.” I inquire hopefully.

“See, he isn’t just your typical Alpha. He is like the Alpha of all Alpha’s. An Alpha of Lycan blood rules over every Alpha in the werewolf community. His word triumphs the word of any alpha, that’s probably the reason your parents can’t do anything to contest his desire to rip you from your home. He can basically do whatever he wants . Not even Alpha Cole can stand against him, doing so would be suicide and quite frankly the end of the Blood Moon Pack as we know it.” He explains.

“So, I’m doomed? Can’t we just go to the police?”

“You could involve humans in a werewolf matter but they would probably end up dead before they can be of help to you. There’s a reason the secret of our existence remains well kept. The council exists to see to it that it remains that way. If humans were to come to know of our existence, we would be hunted and our primal instinct would be to survive. It would get pretty messy. I would suggest that you don’t go lighting fires that might come back to devour you.” He warns.

“But I’m human…”

“You are the exception to the rule. The only humans who know of our existence are those directly descendent of werewolf blood and those mated to werewolves, each one a rare occurrence.”

I sigh in defeat.

“I don’t want to leave the pack. Everyone I love is here. I can’t just leave all that behind at his command. My parents, Sam…you. I can’t live without you guys.”

Tears begin to form in my eyes at the thought of having to leave behind everyone I love.

“Shh. It will be okay. I promise.” He coaxes, brushing off the lone tear on my cheek.

“I just wish I could escape it all. Go somewhere he can’t find me and start anew.” I confess.

“Then let’s leave. There is nothing holding you back.” He offers.

“But what about my parents? I don’t think I can just leave them behind just like that.”

Though they had betrayed my trust, it didn’t make me love them any less. My anger would subside.

“Sounds to me like that’s what going to happen either way. I doubt Alpha Greyson will ever let you come back. The moment you leave this territory there will be no turning back. Besides, they knew all along and kept it from you yet you are still letting them hold you back. I would be thinking about my future first if I were you.”

Though a part of me wanted to protest, a huge part of me knew that this was the only option at my disposal. Xander was right, either way I’d have to leave them behind.

“What do you propose I do then? I can’t just leave. I don’t have the means and they’d definitely know something is up if I ask them for money.”

“My grandparents had a cabin at the far North side of the pack territory, right at the outskirts. It’s mostly abandoned. No one really goes there anymore. You can drive up there tonight with my car, I’ll tell my parents I took the car to the shop for repairs. I’ll come up to you once it’s safe. From there, we can go anywhere you want to go.” He proposes.

“I doubt I can afford to do that.” I murmur.

“Sum up all you can, the rest I’ll cover. We should be able to stay afloat for a couple of months. From there onwards, we can find jobs and make due.”

Though his intentions were kind hearted, I couldn’t bare the thought of him uprooting his life for me. It would be selfish of me.

“I can’t ask you to do that for me.” I breathe, knowing it was too much to ask and too big a risk to get him involved in my mess.

“Don’t worry. I had some money saved up for college and my grandparents also left me some money when they passed.” He assures me.

“Are you sure about this? You’d be leaving your entire life behind to be on the run with me.”

“There’s no one else I’d rather be on the run with.” He reassures before continuing.

“If we are doing this, it must happen tonight. I’ll pass by the grocery store to stock up on any essentials you might need while you wait and fill up the tank. When you are packed and set. I’ll meet you just before the curb by your house. I’ll be on my bike. Pack light.”

I felt a small glimmer of hope begin to creep in as we went over the escape plan. Maybe, just maybe, I could still write my own destiny.