Chapter 7

“Leave us.” He says to no one in particular.

I take that as my que to leave. As I make my way towards the exit, a firm hand grips onto my wrist effectively halting my escape. Tiny electric tingles run through my body from the point of impact. I try to wiggle my way out of his grasp but he doesn’t budge, not so much as a flinch. He turns me so I am standing right in front of him, my body between his legs, our eyes locked in a silent battle for dominance.

I take in a deep breath to calm myself. “Let go of my hand please.”

When I look around hoping my parents would rescue me from the obviously deranged man before me, I find they have long gone. My heart drops to the pit of my stomach at the realization that they had left me alone with a stranger they barely knew. Panic begins to set in at the thought of what would happen now that we were alone. Though I hate to admit it, a part of me was terrified of the man before me. It wasn’t only in the fact that he was terribly intimidating but in my reaction to his touch…his presence in general.

He lets go of my hand when he seems the panic begin to settle on my features. I instinctually trace my fingers around my wrist, were reminiscent tingles still lingered. His eyes follow the movement, softening from their previously hardened gaze.

“Did I hurt you?”

The tenderness in his words takes me aback, momentarily rendering me speechless. Instead of reassuring him that I am alright, I turn my back to him as I move to the opposite end of the room putting a safe distance between us.

“I know this is probably too much to take in. If you could just give me the chance…you’ll come to see that it doesn’t have to be as bad as you envision.”

I gripple with trying to wrap my head around everything that has happened in the past 48 hours. My life literally got flipped on its axis in a matter of hours. This shouldn’t even be possible. How could I be expected to uproot my entire life, senior year, to go be someone’s wife or mate…whatever it is that this would be. How was I mated to an Alpha, and not just your average Alpha but one of Lycan Descent? I have heard tales of werewolves being mated to humans but it was very rare, especially for Alphas.

“Hey, everything will be alright.” He breathes.

“Do I have to leave?” I murmur, the words nearly choking me as I am overwhelmed by a strong surge of emotion.

“The pack needs their Luna.” He says simply.

“I’m just a weak human, can’t you find someone else better suited to lead your pack?” I try to negotiate.

“You are stronger than you think. You need not worry, there will people to guide you on how to assume your position as Luna. I had hoped by now, your parents would have prepared you but clearly that is not the case.”

“But I’m not ready to take on such a big responsibility. I just want to finish high school and go to College. Surely that’s not too much to ask.”

“This is not open for discussion. I have already waited a year for you, I cannot bare to wait any longer. Anything you need or could ever want will be given to you as soon as we get home.” His tone shifts from gentle to annoyed as he paces.

“I don’t want your money.” I spit, insulted by his insinuation.

“You know that’s not what I meant.” He pauses his pacing, narrowing his eyes at me.

“What I want is freedom of choice. The freedom to decide what happens with my life. The last thing I want is to be tied down to a stranger at the hand of some mystical pull I have no control over.”

“I think I’ve heard enough. We will be leaving tomorrow at dawn. I expect you to be packed and ready to go by then.”

There is finality in his voice, discarding any hope that he would just give up and let me be. His tone, his dominating demeanour and his sense of entitlement spark a rage within me.

“I’m not going anywhere with you.” I snap my head up, glaring into his stern eyes.

“We can either do this the easy way or the hard way. Nonetheless, we are leaving tomorrow.”  

He sighs, almost as if conceding though his words took a different tune.

“You’ll have to drag me out of here kicking and screaming. I won’t go anywhere with you willingly.” I huff in defiance, crossing my hands over my chest. His eyes follow were my hands move, lingering for a second before he turns his back to me.

“Suit yourself.”

Just like that, he leaves.

***

“So, you knew about this all along?” I question my parents the minute our ‘guests’ left.

“Honey, we should have told you as soon as we found out. We were just trying to protect you. You have endured enough already, the last thing we wanted was to burden you with this.”

I roll my eyes at her words. Protect me she says. Funny it doesn’t feel like it.

“How long?” I ask, their betrayal burning at my throat.

“Honey I…”

“How long have you been keeping this from me?” I demand.

“A year. He saw you at the pack house the last time he was here. When he came to us, we asked that he give us a year to prepare you for the role you’d have to take.”

I scoff incredulously, not fully believing the things I was hearing.

“Kiddo please hear your mother out.” Ben chimes in to defend his mate, serving to further fuel my anger towards them both.

“Oh, I think I’ve heard enough. What exactly was meant to happen? I’d one day wake up to being forcibly taken from my home after finding out my own parents have handed me over to some strange man? You are my parents for heaven’s sake. You should be protecting me instead of selling me off to some creep you barely know.”

“Don’t take that tone with me young lady. I am still your mother.”

“You sure have a funny way of showing that. What is this, the 1800s? Who still marries of their daughters without their consent?” I remark bitterly, not much caring to filter my words.

“Kiddo, it’s not like that. Please understand. There’s really not much we can do to stop this.”

“Uhm, you could call the police, among other things.” I suggest almost too eagerly, hoping they’d see reason.

“It’s not that simple.” He sighs heavily.

I could tell they were conflicted, saddened even yet my own furry clouded my empathy. If anything, I felt a heavy weight and an overwhelming emptiness at the sight of my mother’s tear-filled eyes. The last thing I wanted was to be in the same room as the two people who had lodged a knife in my heart, while smiling at me. Maybe they had their reasons and maybe I was being selfish and inconsiderate but in that moment I could care less.

“Right well, I think I’m going to go clear my head. Don’t wait up.”

With that said I leave, not really certain where I’d go or what I’d do next.