Chapter 20

JULLIAN'S POV

"She what?" Greyson booms on the other end of the receiver.

The last thing I would have thought I'd be doing this morning is waking up to inform my brother that his mate, who he had become so smitten with had escaped under my supervision. As the Alpha he had always doubted my competence to lead the pack if the need ever arose. My decision not to take up the Omega position and distancing myself from the pack back then had solidified the notion that I wasn't fit to lead, not only in his eyes but in the pack's.

Now, the little faith that he has in me to lead would be diminished if not completely obliterated.

Leaning against the cold wall, I listened on to the distant ferocious growls that resonated on the other end when finally, I hear Jasper's voice.

"How long ago was this?"

"By the look of things, a couple of hours. She can't have gotten far. Our lead trackers are out searching for her now."

Though I was in a panic, I did my best to hide it, knowing it would do no good. I took another hit from the cigar in my hand, a trick of smoke moving past my eyes.

I had fought tirelessly to kill the habit over the years and for some time I had succeeded. Yet I find myself here, in this moment, a failure to temptation, unable to have resisted the urge to help myself to one of my brother's top-grade Cuban cigars.

"How many people are aware of this?"

The less people knew what was going on, the better.

Her arrival had been kept under wraps, only a select few knew but news like this tends to spread through the vine like wildfire.

The pack would not take kindly to a run-away Luna. Her capability to rule would be put in question and her right challenged.

"The situation is contained, only a few people know about this."

"How did this even happen? Why hasn't she been found yet? She is human for Pete's sake, it shouldn't be that hard to track her."

Although his tone is calm, it isn't hard to pick up on the irritation that is carefully masked by his calm façade. None of us could truly be about our wits for we knew the wreckage that would soon follow. We'd seen it before and it was enough to scare even the bravest of wolves into hiding, if not worse.

"Her scent cannot be traced past their bed chambers. She somehow managed to mask it."

"Clearly, she is not to be underestimated. Close down all the pack boarders. Turn that town on its head if you must."

Indeed. Though at face-value one might be quick to dismiss her as a weak mortal, there was more to our young Luna than meets the eye. I had only caught a glimpse of it and that was enough to make me believe it was not by chance that the moon goddess made the unlikely pairing.

"We found one of Greyson's cars abandoned at the edge of town. It shouldn't be long before we find her."

"We will be on our way back as soon as possible. Find her!" Though demanding, there is a silent plea in his tone.

Soon after I end my call with Jasper, my phone vibrates violently in the pocket of my jeans, pulling me back from my consuming thoughts.

She had been found.

"Do not approach. Surround the perimeter and make certain she doesn't slip your watch. I will be there shortly."

I lunge towards the window transforming mid-air, my wolf determined as he blurred past the vast forest lands towards the direction of our Luna's last known location.