4: Alpha's Claiming

Chapter 4: Alpha's Claiming (Devon's POV)

I set my phone, wallet, keys, and watch on the seat as I climbed out of the limo. We had just arrived at the site for the Claiming and I really didn't want to be here. My Beta Jaxson, or Jax for short, joined me as I traveled to the Everglades to try and find my mate. A mate, that I don't want. I lost my parent and was named Alpha of the Elder Watch Pack when I was 14 years old. The day I took the title I shifted into my wolf, and it has been a nonstop party ever since.

I don't even have to try. When I come home from Alpha duties, I have a line of women waiting to please me and it's been that way for nine years now. Why would I want to be tied down to one woman? Why would I want to have to think and worry about someone else, when I already have to do that for my pack. Why would I want someone else to have control over me? When I control everything. Why would I want to have pups, and lose all of my freedom? I ask myself this all the time, but the Elders that I protect, don't care.

The Elders are old fashion. They think I should find my mate, settle down and have some pups. "It's the natural order of things." They say. They want me to give the Alpha title an heir, and I will, in another 5 to 10 years maybe. Right now I am the pull-out king. I have my fun, but I'm careful. I know the ones that are waiting at my door are all gold diggers trying to screw their way to the top. I'm just not into that, at least not now.

Maybe when I'm 30 I'll settle down. Unfortunately, my uncle, Charles is an Elder and former Beta of my pack, and he pushed me into coming. Charles told me, "Go to one Claiming and shut them up for at least a few years. Maybe by then, you will be ready." A few years of them off my case would be nice. So I agreed and here I am.

"I think I'm gonna take a nap while you go search for your mate," Jax said as I stood and stretched in the doorway.

"Yeah, yeah whatever enjoy your break from your annoying ass new mate. Does that girl ever shut up? She has only been around for three months and I don't think she has stopped yet to take a breath. Your phone went off 20 times in the 30 minutes it took us to get here from the boat." I shot back at him. I'm really not in the mood for his shit tonight. Yes, he is my best friend and has been since we were pups still in the crib, but he knows how to press my buttons some days and I think he has fun doing it. "See ya," I shouted as I left for the tent.

I was signed in by Luna Grace of the Palm Moon Pack. I had made some trades over the years with her and her Alpha. They were good people, and they knew the kind of lifestyle that I enjoy.

"Announcements" Grace shouted over the crowd of horny men that were gathered in the tent. "Rules, gentlemen, are expected to be followed this year."

"Rule One: Do NOT touch what isn't yours."

"Rule Two: Fighting is only permitted if you are protecting your mate from another wolf."

"Rule Three: Do NOT try to leave with anyone that is not your mate."

"Rule Four: Try to be gentle with your mate, we don't need any accidents."

"Rule Five: When you do find your mate you are required to take her with you or reject her. Those are the only two choices you have.

"Rule Six: You must bring your mate back to the tent and sign them out before you leave with them."

"Understood?" Everyone kind of mumbled in agreement, and Luna Grace shouted again using her Luna voice this time "I said, am I understood?"

Everyone responded back with a "Yes, Luna Grace" Even me, even though I barely spoke above a whisper.

"There are about 10 minutes left until we release you. We will shoot fireworks and flairs into the sky so your future mates will know that you are on your way. Once the fireworks start you are welcome to start your hunt." Grace informed everyone.