Beating Uncle Peter

Chapter 11

Derek and I walked up to our old burnt down house. "You know, I can't believe I missed this place." I mutter. As we walk towards the house.

"Me too kid." Derek mutters.

We start pulling out all the books we can and start flicking through pages searching for anything that could help us. My eyes flick to my phone on the table, thinking about calling Stiles and seeing if he's okay. I haven't talked to him since that night. Derek notices me starring at my phone.

"Don't even." I order.

"I didn't even say anything." He replies.

"I know what you wanna ask and I'm not gonna reply to your question so don't ask it."

"You don't even know what I wanna ask."

"I have a few ideas."

He continues looking through a book puts one down and picks up another. "I know what you wanna do, and I think you should talk to him." I put my own book down. 

"Why the hell would I take relationship advice from you?"

"You're not gonna let that go are you?" 

"Nope."

"I thought we got past that." 

"I said I'm trying not to beat you in your sleep anymore and not cause you anymore mental or psychical anguish. I'm a work in progress."

Derek and I look up from our books when I feel two sets of eyes on us. "You decided." Derek states as he turns around. 

I turned around as well. "When?" I ask.

"Tonight." Erica replies.

 "Everyone's gonna be at the game. And we figured it was the best time." Boyd adds. 

"It's not like we want to." Erica points out.

"What do you want?" Derek questions.

 They're abandoning us. They're running.

"Since I just turned 16 a month ago, I wouldn't mind getting my license. I can't do that if I'm dead, you know." Erica replies. 

I look down. 

"Well, we told you there was a price." Derek says his frustration growing.

 "You didn't say it would be like this." Boyd counters.

"Yeah, but we told you how to survive. You do it as a pack. And you're not a pack without an Alpha." Derek argues. 

He goes to turn around when Boyd says something to make him turn back around.

"We know." Boyd states.

"You wanna look for another pack?" Derek asks in disbelief. They don't answer and Erica looks away.

"How are you even gonna find one?" I question. 

"We think we already did." Boyd replies.

"Like all of a sudden we heard all this howling. It was unbelievable." Erica informs.

 "There must have been a dozen of them." Boyd adds.

"Yeah, or maybe only two. You know what the Beau Geste effect is? If they modulate their howls with a rapid shift in tone, two wolves can sound like 20." I deadpan my own anger flaring they're taking off when we need them, and they don't care.

"Look, that doesn't matter, okay? There's another pack out there. There's got to be. We've made up our minds." Erica says not backing down from Derek's gaze. I clench my fist in anger.