Chapter Four

The loud talking and clattering of silverware led me through the dark-now petrifying- hallways of Dauntless to the dining hall.

But as I got closer, my attention was distracted by the loud running water under the bridge that brought me to this part of the compound. I lean over the only barrier keeping me and everyone else from falling over to see a river flow of trash. Water hits the walls. This really isn't a place I've ever seen before.

Finding the table of transfers isn't hard; they're all slumping in their chairs, pushing their food around on their plates. The spot next to Mia is open so I take the seat, happy to be around people, but not in the mood to put on a happy face and socialize like the Dauntless around us.

"You weren't in your fear landscape for very long" Mia speaks up, pushing a pile of peas on her plate. "I got lost for about ten minutes, I haven't been here very long-"

"It was just beginner's luck, I guess," I stop her from continuing to talk about what happened in that dark room, "I had as many fears as everyone else."

To distract myself some more, I grab one of the unused cups placed on the center of the table and pour the pitcher of water. One thing I know for sure; I feel dehydrated.

"You did get out pretty fast, Stiff. What's your secret?" Eric, from across the table, leans in. I meet his eyes, they narrow in on me.

"There are no secrets. I did what our instructor told us to do; either keep our heart rate steady, or face our fears,' I narrow my eyes toward him, testing whatever fight I have in myself, "and I do have a name."

He pierces his lips. "And how many fears did you have exactly, Amalia?" He over emphasizes.

"I guess you'll find out at the end of initiation." I take the cup and down the rest of the water

I shouldn't try to get on his bad side, if there was a fight between the two of us- I'd surely lose my life.

Minutes go by, the crowd of Dauntless around the room begin to leave; but two figures begin to walk down the dark hallway towards the cafeteria. Under one of the blue lights, I notice the grey clothing.

Tobias. He was faster than all the other initiates, even the Dauntless-born. 

He takes the seat beside me, keeping his head down. Amar sits on the one besides him, a smirk on his face.

"Jeez, Stiff. You look like you're about to faint," Eric says, and one of the Candor boys grin.

"You all made it out alive," Amar sets his hands on the table. "Congratulations. You made it through the first day of initiation, with varying degrees of success." He looks at Eric. "None of you did as well as Four over here, though."

Four? I glance at Tobias who looks just as startled. What does that mean?

"Hey, Tori," Amar turns to the table behind us, "you ever hear of anyone having only four fears in their landscape?"

Tori, who gave the aptitude tests to the Abnegation, turns to face Amar. "Last I heard, the record was seven or eight. Why?" Her dark eyebrow raises.

"I've got a transfer over here with only four fears."

Tori looks stunned, we all do.

"That's gotta be a new record," Tori grins.

"Well done," Amar stands up, "you too, Amalia. There's something strange about you Abnegation." He shakes his head and walks over to join Tori and her table.

My cheeks begin to burn, suddenly I wish I knew the layout of this place so I could hide away from the looks. Everyone stares at Tobias with wide eyes, glancing at me.