Chapter Twelve

Water hits my ankles as I dangle my legs between the rails keeping me from falling into the Chasm.

I don't know why I came here, out of all the places. Maybe it's because the water makes me feel calm, or that it's the quietest place I could find with some

light rather than darkness. I haven't learned to appreciate the dark hallways just yet.

The paper is still crumpled in my hands, a bit torn from the way I snatched it from Eric. I still can't bear to read it, I only stare at the blonde woman on the cover wearing the Erudite glasses purely meant for vanity. The title reading: "Abnegation: What's Really behind the Grey Cinder Block Walls?"

I'll never understand why people need to hurt others in such a cruel way just as Eric did to me. I wouldn't doubt if a story about Marcus Eaton will be published soon to raise speculation on whether or not Four was mistreated also. He'll go through the same sort of punishing, if Eric dares.

Quietly, I rip the papers up and let them float in the air beneath me. I watch them scatter through the wind the water creates and sink into the river to go where the other trash piles up.

Momentarily, I wonder how it'd feel to be floating in that river...

"Amalia?"A voice sounds behind me, causing me to flinch. My eyes glance to find Four standing a few feet away with fresh blood on his knuckles.

"Hey" I grin, wiping the now dry tears from my warm cheeks. "You okay?" I gesture to his hands.

Four looks at his hand before sitting down opposite of me, his back against the railing.

"Just had to fit in one more good punch before bed" he grins, the lights above us make his blue eyes dark again. I just look into them without moving.

"The slap was enough, he just figured out the truth. That's all" I sigh, a sniffle releases through me.

"He had no right to single you out like that. Eric got what he deserved" Four looks at his hand and clenches tight enough to make his knuckles turn white.

My head rests against the rusted railing, my hand finds its way on top of his. "Thank you for defending me... again."

His eyes are settled on our hands. "I didn't do it just for you. I did it to teach him a lesson" a sigh releases from him.

I bring my legs out from the railing and sit cross legged facing him, my hand still on his and my head never moving from the bar.

"I didn't know you had it in you" he mumbles, giving me a glance.

Those words make my body stiffen, they're Eric's words. "You didn't know I had what in me?"

"Cursing at Eric" Four snorts into a laugh.

I narrow my eyes. "Hey, I'm allowed to curse." He's too busy laughing at me to answer. After a few moments, I laugh too. It did sound ridiculous coming out of my mouth.

When we settle, Four stares off to the other side of the Chasm without a word. I still study his face.

"Can I ask you something?" He asks softly.

I nod. "Sure."

"Do you think I'm a coward for leaving Abnegation because of Marcus?" Four keeps his eyes away from mine, but I sense the worry in his tone.

I take a few seconds. "You were right to leave, Four. You aren't a coward for not facing him, you're strong for knowing there was somewhere else for you out there." It makes me sad to see a bit inside of him. To what he's really been thinking.