Chapter Thirteen

As a pack, we all jog up through the compound and into the pitch black hallways. We're soon greeted by a herd of people waiting next to a door. Amar is among them.

"They usually only allow initiates with older siblings to come to these things, so we're all technically sneaking in" Zeke grins toward us, looking at me and Four. "So if you act like you're one of us, they might not even notice."

I raise an eyebrow. "What exactly is this?" I ask in a low voice, not wanting anyone to question my questioning.

"It's an initiation ritual, but we have no clue what happens. Just that it's dangerous" Shauna smirks.

My heart beats faster than it already was after our run, I suddenly can't wait to know what's about to happen.

Though we can't really see each other, Four has a worried look on his face.

"I don't really like going into something without knowing what it is first" he mumbles.

"Why? Scared?" Zeke nudges his arm, Four stares at him bewildered.

Because it feels natural, I take his hand into mine and give him a smile when our eyes meet. Four immediately softens.

"Let's go!" Someone in the front of the group yells, opening a door and a flood of footsteps starts; a staircase.

We all follow the group, a few people behind us. I almost miss the first step but I grab the wall and keep going up until sunlight hits my face.

I'm almost taken by surprise when the wind pushes my curls and clothes to one side. It's been so long since we were allowed out during a nice day; the day we took the field trip to the fence, it was raining. The game of capture the flag was during the middle of the night so being in the fresh air with the sun looking shining down on us almost feels new- even just after a week of being underground.

When the train comes, we all jog alongside the cars together. One by one, someone throws themselves up and lands swiftly on their feet to safety.

If I were to do this a week ago, I wouldn't be able to get in without help or hurting myself. I'd worry I might plummet to my death if I didn't run fast enough. But now, I replicate the other Dauntless. Grabbing the handle on the side of the door and using my arm strength to hoist myself into the car without struggle.

Everyone in the car is smiling and laughing, I can't help but smile too. As if it was contagious. Everyone's in a happy mood except for Four, who slides down against the wall and sits on the floor. I grin and take the spot beside him, bringing my knees to my chest.

"Do you know where we're going?" I ask over the wind to Zeke, he and Shauna sit across from us.

Zeke shrugs his shoulders. "No clue, but it's part of the fun."

Shauna smirks towards me. "It's nice to officially meet you, Mal. Four told us about you."

I glance at Four who stares out the opposite door towards the growing city, he seems out of touch.

"Good things, I hope" I grin towards Shauna.

"Of course, nothing but good things" she and Zeke exchange a look.

"Hey" a familiar voice calls to us from the opposite side of the room. We all look to see Amar walking towards us.

"You four aren't supposed to be here" Amar rubs the back of his neck.

"Are you going to turn us in?" Shauna asks with her lip out in a fake pout, her head tilted to the side.

Amar lets out a chuckle. "Of course not, it's an initiate activity for a reason," he looks at me and Four, "I'm more surprised you two are here."