9

Chapter Nine - Reckless

I turn out to be wrong. Our game of I spy lasts for about ten minutes before we get bored. We stopped for food after an hour and a half of driving before getting back on the road again. I'm struggling to keep my eyes open because I ate too much and now I feel incredibly lazy.

"Do you want to move to the back to sleep?" Roman asks and I shake my head slowly.

"I don't think that's a good idea."

"What – why?" He frowns at me in confusion before following my gaze to the rear-view mirror. "Fuck me!"

There's a large van and three cars following us. The fact that they're all blacked out and roughed up is a huge giveaway. I open the compartment in front of me and grab the gun, making sure it's loaded and the safety is off.

"Maybe after we make it out of this alive."

He rolls his eyes before accelerating. "Careful. You don't have anyone to cover for you like last time."

I hum in understanding before rolling down my window and shooting at the vehicles. Every time they shoot back I duck inside which becomes quite annoying. I manage to burst the tires of one which then swerves into the car next to it. A satisfied smile graces my lips when they crash and topple over.

But I notice the van gaining on us which makes me frown. "Can't you go any faster?!"

"No, this is the max!" He grunts as we weave through traffic.

"He's going to hit into us!"

He sighs in frustration before swerving into a parking lot. My eyes widen as I hold onto the dashboard just as the van catches the back of the car. A shriek escapes my lips as we almost topple over before Roman balances the car and shoots ahead. But this time the third car hits us from the side in the back as the van rams itself against the boot. Roman manages to get out of the situation before speeding ahead.

"We need to get out and run!" He yells as he takes off his seat belt.

I nod and un-clip mine before grabbing the door handle in one hand, my handbag and gun in the other. "Run left!"

I see him nod before we both hop out of the moving car and sprint. I thank God that the parking lot is so full before spotting a young-looking man forget to lock his car as he makes his way into the store. Yelling at Roman I gesture for him to follow me before racing to the vehicle.

I unzip my bag and laugh like a maniac when I realize I have all the things I need for what I'm about to do next. I jump into the driver's seat before quickly hot wiring it. A noise of breathless exclamation escapes me just as Roman gets into the passenger's seat. I don't even wait for him to fully close his door before revving the engine and speeding out of the parking lot.

"You know how to hot wire a car?!" He yells with wide eyes.

"Didn't I tell you that my brothers and I illegally raced when we were younger?" I shout back as I notice the car and van turning after us from the parking lot's exit.

"No!"

"Oh...well, we did!" I swerve dangerously onto another road.

"Have you forgotten that I'm also a part of the FBI?!"

I glance at him before chuckling sheepishly in realization. "If I get us out of this situation will you forget I ever told you that?!"

He stares at me with narrowed eyes before grumbling under his breath. "I've broken so many laws since I met you."