27

Chapter Twenty Seven - Little Daredevil

Summertime – a few months later.

"I'll be there in ten – Mac, stop pissing me the fuck off!" Roman yells in the sitting room as he talks to his friend on the phone.

I chuckle to myself as I get out of bed and walk into the bathroom to freshen up. We just returned from Australia yesterday morning after celebrating Roman's twenty-ninth birthday there and he's quite grumpy from the jet lag. The fact the team has been assigned a huge case today doesn't help things either. After I'm done in the bathroom I make my way to Roman and hug him from behind. He instantly relaxes as his hand covers mine while he ends the call.

"Coffee?"

"Yes, please. I'll just get breakfast after the meeting." He sighs as he turns around and wraps his arms around my waist.

"Well in order for me to do that you need to let me go." I grin as he leans down to press his lips to mine.

"I wish I could stay longer." He whines as he follows me to the kitchen.

I laugh as I start on his coffee while also making a quick sandwich he can have on the way. He kisses my cheek one last time before rushing to the bedroom to get changed. When I'm done I make my own breakfast before tidying up the kitchen just as he walks back into the room.

"I'll see you later okay?" He pats his jean pockets to confirm he has his wallet and phone before grabbing the coffee cup and sandwich. "Thank you!"

"Bye!" I wave as he leaves before taking my food to the sitting room.

I put on a random show as I eat my eggs and bacon before getting some coffee for myself. But just as I've finished the hot drink I find myself becoming nauseous and race to the bathroom. I make it just in time for me to kneel on the floor before I throw up my breakfast. I groan in disgust and flush when I'm done before slumping against the wall.

I've been throwing up ever since we flew out of Australia. The plane ride wasn't great either and I had put it down to having motion sickness but now I think I may be sick. Sighing I haul myself up before brushing my teeth again and calling the doctor's clinic. I make an appointment for myself in an hour's time before taking a shower.

I change into one of Roman's white t-shirts simply because I love how over-sized they are on me and pair it with my red polka dotted skirt before slipping on some flats. Clipping my hair back I leave it to air dry. I grab my purse, phone and keys before checking the time and leaving for my appointment.

The doctor's clinic is only a ten-minute drive and I spend it thinking about work and how I really don't want to take any more days off due to being sick. This is the last thing I want right now because I have some stories I need to get started on as soon as I'm back in the office. Thankfully I have this weekend to get my schedule back to normal whereas poor Roman isn't so lucky.

I find a parking space in town before making my way into the clinic. After spending about fifteen minutes in the waiting room and flipping through magazines I'm called in. My doctor, Roxanna, greets me with her usual cheery smile and a twinkle of humor flickers in her eyes when I tell her my symptoms.

"When was your last period?"

"Uh...what?" I blink in surprise at the unexpected question. "What do you mean? I'm sick. What does that have to do with my period?"

"Just tell me." She laughs lightly as she types away on her computer.

I take out my phone and go to the app where I keep track of my periods. "I-It was supposed to be three weeks ago. The last time I got my period was last month on May sixteenth! I was on holiday...oh my god, I didn't even realize I missed it! Am I...?"