19

Chapter Nineteen - Insane

Roman Jackson's P.O.V.

The lights of the mall turn on five minutes later and I run around yelling for Elena like a madman. When I can't find her my heart races in terror as I realize that she's been taken. Ryder and Theo race over to Zoe and Ella who stand next to each other terrified. I run upstairs to check on Navy and Remi to find them passed out on the ground along with three other men. They're all bleeding, Remi is shot along with the other three and Navy has a head wound.

Cursing I call backup as I search for a first aid kit. I clean up their wounds as best as possible before securing tight bandages around them. Then I race down to the van outside the mall where Payton and Cleo have been operating from. But I find them collapsed in the middle of the alleyway with nobody in sight.

"Fuck!" I yell in frustration as I open the medical kit I had brought just in case and begin working on them.

Backup arrives midway as well as an ambulance and they take over. I explain the situation to everyone and after making sure Payton and Cleo are going to be okay we head back inside to get Navy, Remi and the other men. During it all I finally find my family again and this time mom, dad and Noah have joined. Instantly I feel a pang of guilt for leaving them but I brush it off knowing that if I had wasted time then I would have lost my team members.

"Roman we can't find Elena!" Ella cries worriedly as she looks around.

"What is going on? Do you know anything?" Dad asks as he drapes an arm across Mom's shoulders tightly.

"Elena's been kidnapped. The serial killer that I've been following has been targeting her. I had some of my team here and they've been shot and injured. This was all planned so that he could get her." I explain and watch as their eyes widen in fear. "Listen, I don't have time right now. I need you all to get home and an officer is waiting outside to escort you. I don't know when I'll be back but I need to find her."

"Be safe honey, okay?" Mom hugs me tightly and pulls my head down to kiss my forehead.

"I will, don't worry." I nod as everyone steps forward to hug me.

Noah glances back at me in worry as I watch them leave the mall. I smile reassuringly before they disappear around a corner. With a heavy sigh I turn and make my way outside to the back exit of the mall where my team is being loaded into ambulances. I text the others in the group chat about what happened and they respond right away that they'll meet me at the hospital. A small smile lifts my lips at them dropping everything to help me.

After settling everything with the officers I get into my car and drive to the hospital where Navy, Remi, Payton and Cleo are. My thoughts run rampant as I think about Elena and I instantly feel like such a failure. I told her she will be safe with me but he got to her. Running a hand through my hair in frustration I call Briar and tell her to get access to the mall cameras as well as find out if we can track Elena somehow.

The doctors give me an update with somber faces, telling me how Payton and Remi are in the operation theatre and that Cleo and Navy are still unconscious. Briar is driving back to the office to try and track Elena down as that's where all her equipment is. I can't leave until I have a location from her. It's killing me to sit here and do nothing while Elena is out there probably terrified. So, I wait as anxiety courses through me like a wildfire.

After a long wait, just as the doctors come out of the operation theatres the rest of the team joins me in the waiting room. Thankfully Payton's and Remi's wounds weren't fatal while Cleo and Navy have been tended to. I sigh in relief as they tell us that the nurses will be moving them to their rooms soon. Thanking them we turn to each other just as my phone rings. I pick up and put it on loudspeaker when I notice that it's Briar.