10

Chapter Ten - Target

I'm happy to see that everyone else is okay when we regroup the next afternoon. After grabbing some breakfast, we all go through the recent murders that happened. It's the same pattern of killing young girls in their last year of high school but ever since D.S. started sewing mouths shut he's become unpredictable. Now he's moved onto carving his initials instead.

We decide to head to the four crime scenes to see if we can find anything else. Of course, I stay back in the car or stand at a distance while the others check the areas out in more detail. I make my own observations and by the time we're at the fourth crime scene I've figured out something.

On two of the girls that were murdered the same pendant was found with a photo of a girl inside. He's playing a game and trying to confuse us now. When we were all talking earlier Briar reported that there's no details in the database of the girl in the pendant. Which means she doesn't exist and is nothing to him. It's probably a symbol instead of his first heartbreak that started all of this.

She also figured out that he has been using different names as he moves from state to state. So his exes don't even know of a guy with the initials, D.S. This guy basically uses aliases whenever he meets someone new.

As we walk along the streets towards the scene I overhear people talking in a small shop. Stopping by the wall I listen in and hear them talking about how the cops saw someone suspicious on the cameras of a gas station on the outskirts before heading back towards Louisiana. My eyes widen before I turn and catch up with the rest of the team.

"He's heading back to Texas! He lives there!"

"What? How do you know?" Payton frowns thoughtfully as the others glance at each other. "And he started in New Mexico so wouldn't he live there?"

"I heard people talking in the shop we just passed. The cops saw someone suspicious on the cameras at a gas station before that person headed towards Louisiana." I explain as we cross the street. "D.S. murdered a shit ton of girls in Texas whereas in New Mexico only one murder was reported. He's comfortable in Texas and that's why the numbers are so high there because he knows the place."

"Blondie has a point there." Mac murmurs and I can literally see the cogs in his head turning.

"What the fuck?!" Roman seethes and I walk around the group to see what happened.

"Oh boy." I mutter as I spot the sign driven into the ground with 'You're next Tiramisu.'

"Who's...tiramisu?" Cleo asks with a confused frown.

"That'd be me...I'm Italian." I snicker as I raise my hand.

"He called her that when we received a threatening note at our first motel." Roman explains as he runs a hand through his hair in frustration." He made Elena one of his targets before I introduced her to you guys. We received a note that day too."

"And you're not the least bit worried?" Payton asks me slowly, as if it's difficult for him to understand.

I shrug as I glance at the sign again before realizing that it's been written in blood. "Yeah...I'll start on that once I get a donut. Anybody want some?"

I point to the bakery shop nearby as I stare at them. Briar and Mac are smirking in amusement, Cleo's jaw is dropped, Payton face palms himself and Roman just shakes his head with a knowing look as he's already used to it.

"I'll get a variety!" I grin before making my way across the road.

I step inside and sigh in content when the smell of baking envelopes me in what feels like a warm hug. Walking up to the girl at the counter I pick a selection of pastries before paying. I grab my chocolate donut and take a bite as I leave the store. The team is still at the scene talking to themselves with frowns on their faces.