XIV • LONG WAY BACK FROM HELL

fourteen | loin de l'enfer

Fleur de Lis Sanatorium

Monique Deveraux is laying on an old mattress of a single old, medical bed in a run-down, abandoned hospital, seemingly weak and sick as she continues to suffer from the vervain in her system, which was a spell casted on her once she fell unconscious the previous night with a broken neck. A dripping sound is distinctly heard by her bedside as she slowly regains consciousness, her neck remains sore from being telekinetically broken.

Once she remembers what happened, she shoots up in the old bed, only to look around frantically, even in her weak condition, and start hallucinating that the hospital is clean and bustling with many nurses caring for the sick. Many patients are all groaning and crying in agony while the nurses and doctors tend to them at their bedside; all of the sick are suffering from the Spanish Influenza epidemic in 1919. In reality, the hospital is derelict inside, full of antique beds, wheelchairs, and medical equipment that has been left to rust. Monique becomes overwhelmed with the toxic vervain in her system, as a rare spell to the point of inducing halluccinations with the burn, and starts hyperventilating as she looks around in her hallucination.

Fresh blood drips onto the floor; a man drops a bloody rag; another man sits up in bed and coughs up blood into a handkerchief. A gasp of pure shock escapes her, her baby blue eyes wide, as two doctors drop another patient onto a cot and wheel him toward the morgue. She's about to get up from the bed when she sees a familiar female figure slowly walking towards her, though her vision is now unfortunately blurry from the toxin in her veins, "Who's there?" She mentioned in great alarm as her vision gradually clears up, though remains blurry anyway, to show her that it's the witch Sabine.

Sabine fakes a sweet smile for the vervained vampire, "Hello Monique. It's a pleasure to finally meet you, and even better that I have you all to myself."

Her baby blue eyes remain squinting as she tries to clear her vision up enough to see who she really is, but she recognises the familiar voice entirely well, "Oh. It's you. Hey, wh-what happened? How did I get here?"

"You need to rest. What with the vervain in your system, you can only sleep like a baby, for now. The fun's just begun." Sabine doesn't even give her any time to reconsider what she just said as she casts a silent spell that quickly sends the golden brunette vampire to a deep slumber on the old bed again; once she's securely unconscious, the young witch trails her genuinely curious gaze down to the familiar sterling art nouveau locket necklace worn around the old vampire's neck and is now laying on her clean fair chest.

****

Mikaelson Compound

Elijah Mikaelson walks into the courtyard in pure determination to find Marcel sending out more troops to search the city for their three targets, after the Original was at the local cemetery earlier in which he has witnessed the consecration of Sophie Deveraux, who has already died.