XXIV • ALIVE AND KICKING

Mikaelson Compound

Monique comes home to find a puddle of blood on the floor of the courtyard. When she walks toward it to take a closer look, she sees a trail of paw prints that eventually turn into human footprints, which lead to a lifeless woman's body, which is propped up against the fountain. Monique follows another trail of footprints to the bathroom, where Hayley is taking a bubble bath. Another body is propped up against the wall next to the tub.

Monique fakes a welcoming, friendly smile for the recklessly brand new werewolf/vampire hybrid, "Someone has an eventful evening." Messy.

A tired sigh leaves Hayley by her presence, "Come to check up on me?"

"Don't flatter yourself, especially with the mess that you've made." Monique sends a quick, disgusted glance to the blood trail of footprints once again.

"Ugh, I was having a crappy day, so Klaus took me out to the cauldron. Wouldn't you know, we ran into some witches!" Hayley informed her about her own mortal victims being the witches who tried to kill her baby before.

"So, would you like me to clean up your leftovers?" Monique sarcastically snapped as she steps over the body and into the wet bathroom, and Hayley rolls her clear hazel-green eyes before standing up in the bathtub, not at all concerned about Monique seeing her stark naked, bubble-covered body.

Monique, clearly not pleased or amused, reaches for a clean dry towel and hands it to Hayley, as she doesn't avert her eyes from her body, unfazed.

Hayley squints her eyes at her friend in genuine annoyance, "Oh, don't judge, Monique! What I did is no worse than anything Klaus has ever done."

A scoff of disbelief escapes Monique at that, "You're kidding me, right?" Why would this brand new hybrid compare herself to the Original hybrid?

"I'm a hybrid now, and I have a werewolf temper to go with my new appetite. And the witches who tried to kill my baby are worth nothing more than food. Excuse me." Hayley scoots past her to her own bedroom to change, leaving Monique to examine the wet bathroom to clean it up.

A genuinely tired sigh leaves Monique, who rolls her baby blue eyes in more concern and genuine disappointment for Hayley's careless murder spree. Once she reaches the study, Monique decided to speak to Klaus about her.

"You took her on a witch hunt? What were you thinking?" They were reckless to murder them. What is Elijah going to say once he finds out?

"I simply wanted to persuade those witches to locate the white oak stake for me. When they proved unable to do so, I let Hayley have her fun." To murder the witches from the same coven who tried to murder their baby. It's not like they don't deserve it. To say that they're both satisfied about the gruesome retaliation of massacre would be a huge understatement now.

"You mean a declaration of war." Monique nods, "As if we aren't in a state of it already, especially since she grows more savage every day, and you let her. Niklaus, you're letting the mother of your child fall apart without you." She needs you, what does he not understand about that when she said it?

"Perhaps the problem is your high standards? Hayley is one of us now. Being a vampire only exaggerates what you truly are, and wolves are wild things. She knows she can never live up to the pretty little picture you paint of her in your beautiful head. Your judgment only hurts her more." Klaus hissed in defense of his own former one night stand, certain that the girl is alright.

"Well, pardon me for trying to help her, unlike some people."

Klaus angrily rises to his feet in offense of his best friend's dripping sarcasm, defensively, "I am helping! You should have seen her last night! Covered in witches' blood and smiling from ear to ear! She is embracing this. A little less criticism from you, and Hayley will be just fine. I believe in her." Considering how genuinely resilient the twenty-one-year-old girl can be.