XLIV • ASHES TO ASHES

forty-four | cendres aux cendres

Mikaelson Compound

Monique's charred lifeless form remains laying on the floor of the spacious courtyard in which she burned to her unfortunate demise under Klaus' ruthless mind compulsion-- while her own lover watched from the balcony above, and Elijah Mikaelson himself seems undeniably devastated as he reluctantly covers her body with a clean white sheet before he opens the palm of his right hand to reveal the sterling art nouveau locket with poppy daylight necklace-- from when he picked it up earlier from the floor after she took it off from her lovely clavicle, which belonged to her after he presented it to her as a gift on her birthday over six hundred years ago — 1360. For nine hundred years, they have always been stuck together ever since he first met her for the very first time after Klaus himself rescued her from the ritual, ironically. Their extremely close bond, the allegience which they provided each other, how protective they were of the other, how they cared so much with every piece of their beating heart for each other, how one could never go on without the other, they were each other's halves to become whole.

Therefore, how is he supposed to move on without his other half now? Who is going to stand by his side when things seem unbearable again? Who is going to watch his back, over his shoulder, to alarm him and warn him that something undesirable may strike? She was his best friend, how platonic they considered themselves to be, until he realized how much he loved her. How could his brother do this to him? Klaus himself knew how much the young woman meant to him, and he would do such a despicable deed?

Cami, whose hands remain smeared with fresh blood after pulling Papa Tunde's blade out of Elijah's chest after she tore his chest open with Mikael's blade earlier on, drinks a cup full of his blood to heal after Klaus attacked and fed on her, grimacing at the metallic taste as she swallows it. Once she's done, Elijah turns to her, seemingly furious as he growls quietly.

"So, now that you have healed, what do you mean, Niklaus had a plan?!" Elijah's voice, with a distinctly furious tone, rises to a shout, which incurs a flinch from her, "We had a plan! A plan he has mercilessly destroyed--"

"Your plan wouldn't have worked, Elijah! When Klaus got into my head, he said your plan would fail, so he had to enact one of his own."

Elijah remains to glare at her, stunned and frustrated by this revelation, remaining visibly furious over his lover's demise, "And what might that be?"

A shaky sigh of nervousness and arising fear leaves Cami, who's utterly terrified under the Original's furious glare, "He has to get her to link to him."

"My brother wishes to bind himself to our enemy? She'll be virtually indestructible!" Linked with the Original hybrid, Elijah considered aloud.

Cami shakes her head a little, frantic, "He said I had to convince you that everything he had to do, he had to do alone. You had the wrong ingredients to kill Dahlia, and he has to buy time before he finds the right ones."

Elijah squints his teary hazel eyes, truly perplexed by this news, "How?"

❋❋❋

Elijah remains sitting on the edge of the fountain, staring tearfully at Monique's sheet-covered body while Cami looks at him sympathetically, and he looks back down at the sterling art nouveau locket with poppy daylight necklace on the palm of his right hand, holding his tears back.