XXXVIII • SAVE MY SOUL

thirty-eight | sauve mon âme

Eden Deveraux's Loft

Eva/Rebekah is sleeping fitfully on the long velvet couch around the excessively spacious, grand living room, seemingly distressed, considering in her dreams, she gets wild visions in short snippets of her witch vessel, Eva Sinclair, murdering one teenage boy in the Tremé market amidst the night with no mercy and channeling the power of another by carving a sacrificial sigil onto the innocent teenage girl's forehead. After a moment, she awakens with a gasp, and seems clearly disoriented until she gains her bearings. Once she realizes where she is, she becomes utterly puzzled when she hears the distinct sounds of angry yelling outside of the apartment.

Eva/Rebekah gets up from the velvet couch and moves toward the large glass window to see what is going on outside when Eden suddenly rushes downstairs into the room and halts her from getting any closer to the glass.

"Really, be more of an idiot and see what's going on, regarding you." Eden snapped sarcastically in a genuinely annoyed manner, truly offending her, knowing well enough that angry witches are outside, searching for Eva.

"All that bloody racket, are because of me?" Eva/Rebekah asked, puzzled.

"Don't flatter yourself. Stay here, if you're smart enough to save yourself. If not, then I can't really be blamed for your persistence. I'll see them."

Eva/Rebekah's eyebrows furrow in more confusion, "Them? Them who?"

Eden speed-walks out the main door, of the ground floor, to the outside of the entire building, in which a sizable group of people have begun congregating around. Some of them are vampires, including Marcel Gerard and Sebastian Deveraux, who have made a barrier with their bodies to protect the main entrance to the apartment, while others are witches, including Josephine LaRue, all of whom are in various stages of anger.

"We want Eva!"

Eden spots her own father at the front of the angry crowd, next to Marcel, who remains to maintain his gaze on her ever since she speed-walked out, though she remains assertive with the task at hand, "Whatever the problem is, if you don't back up and calm down, it's going to get worse for sure."

A small smile comes upon Josephine's regularly calm, elegant expression, "Miss Deveraux. Do you realize you're harboring a renegade witch?"

"Oh, I am? Forgive me, I have no idea what you're talking about." Eden denied mischievously with a fake smile for most of the angry witches.

Josephine slowly tilts her head in wonder, skeptical of her, "Is that a fact?" She nods toward someone behind the young woman, and Eden sighs tiredly as she turns to see that Eva/Rebekah has come outside to join them.

"There she is!"

"Yeah, there she is!"

"There she is." Eden raises her voice as she continued, "So this is the renegade witch that you all are here for? Out of all witches, why her?"

"You know why." Eva/Rebekah quietly told her, "What are you doing?"

"I'll tell you what you're doing, if it isn't obvious that you're an idiot." Eden fakes a guilty smile for the frowning Josephine amongst the angry crowd.

"Well, I hate being told what to do, so I ignored you." Eva/Rebekah walks toward the angry crowd of witches, who are looking at her with disgust and anger, "Beg pardon, love, but I think this is all a simple misunderstanding."