XXIII • REBIRTH

Mikaelson Compound

Klaus Mikaelson is listening to the classical Mozart's Requiem in D Minor K 626-3 on a classical record player while he furiously tries to stretch a canvas over a wooden frame for a brand new painting. When he tears through the canvas, he furiously throws it all across the room, just as Monique Deveraux walks in. Klaus, overwhelmed with frustration, yells at the top of his lungs, which deeply concerns Monique, who picks up the canvas he threw onto the floor and examines it while he seems slightly relieved by her early presence.

"You're upset. Should we call it your 'white period'?" She mentioned sarcastically as she looks up at him with a feigned innocent expression.

"I'm missing a crucial colour in my palette-- that of my enemies' blood." Literally, Klaus informed her with a serious frown on his handsome features.

"Then why use blood when you can use a Venetian red, with a dash of rust?"

Monique's joke, however, causes Klaus to completely lose his temper, "It's been months! I've adhered to our plan: sit and do nothing, sell our grief. And now, my child is safely away, and another full moon is upon us-- another night of pathetic weakness as the moonlight rings steal my strength!" Considering the magical moonlight kyanite stones are linked to his blood to make him weak; fortunately, his daughter is safely away with Rebekah now to remain undetected under a cloaking spell with the claim that she died.

"Aww." Monique pouts mischievously in a cute manner despite remaining to feel sympathetic about his predicament from the spell, "There there."

Klaus calms down slightly, though remains clearly upset, as he said quietly, "The inertia is killing me. I need to act. I-I-I need-- I need to spill blood." He needs to murder someone-- an enemy to regain the pleasant satisfaction.

"Said the most predictable Original." Monique simply nods once, "Listen, I know what'll make you feel slightly better besides your craving for blood-- I've found the last of the twelve rings forged with your blood." She nods.

Klaus perks up slightly by this breaking news, relieved, "Then, it's time!" To destroy the moonlight stones of those rings to regain his full power again.

"It's time to slow down." Monique gently advised him, "I'm worried."

"Said the most worrisome vampire." Klaus labeled her with a cute smile.

Monique slowly shakes her head, "I'm worried about Hayley, and you." Especially considering both parents haven't seen their child in months and they remain to avoid each other ever since her plan to send the baby away.

Klaus visibly tenses up at the mention of Hayley and starts arranging through his art once again as a minor excuse to turn away from his observant best friend with a claim of his own for assurance, "She looks well enough." Even though they remain to avoid each other, as acquaintances.

Monique squints her baby blue eyes at her best friend in annoyance, "You're kidding. She looks no better than you, Nik. Now, if the two of you would treat each other as more than just...awkward passing acquaintances--"

"She has you for that." As a true friend, to provide the new mother solace.

"No. Sadly, like you as it turns out, she prefers to fight her demons alone."

****

Marcel Gerard's Loft in Algiers, New Orleans

Marcel and Monique have just met up with Joshua Rosza, who has brought them at least a dozen arbitrarily specific humans in which to look for potential vampire recruits, in the Algiers neighborhood of New Orleans. The young woman closely examines the group of potentials when her baby blue eyes catch sight of a dark brown haired young man, examining her as well.