chapter 5

Present day, time skip
Marlow POV:
I made some fluffy pancakes for breakfast, not like Dad made, not even close to the goodness that he could muster up. Close enough though.

My lifeguard top and navy blue shorts over top of my navy bikini. The blue top I had on was a bit big , so I rolled up my sleeves, it was an extra small, but they didn't have any smaller. I had black thongs on, they made a clicking sound as I walked over to the dishwasher, loading up my plates, I looked at the time, 6:15.

Looking at the note from my Dad once more, I grabbed my bag and phone and head out to dissect the day ahead.

Reaching the tower I felt the summer breeze behind me, it was inviting and I happily let it ruffle my blonde hair. The door of the tower was open, so I waltzed in and dropped my bags in my the locker.

'Hello Maximus! Jessimus!' I laughed as the two boys put down their binoculars and gave me a fist bump and high five.

'Why hello, miss Hopkins' Jesse retorted
'What's on the agenda for today?' I asked lifting my sunnies
'Gonz and you are in the tower, Maxi and Harrison south end, Kerrbox and Harries North corner , Whippet and Chappo are patrolling in the rhino and I am on the jet ski.'
'What!! Tower again? What is with my Dad these days, you'd swear he never would let me leave the front doorstep! It's like rapunzel.' I pout

Jesse laughs and looked at me while patting my shoulder 'Don't worry, we ask the same question from time to time, except we're all a bit afraid of Hop'

I laugh it off, but come to think of it, where is Dad? I hadn't seen him since shut off lastnight.

Right as I finished that thought everyone grabbed their respected equipment and headed out to their stations, the clock struck half past.

Gonz and myself scanned the water, answered phone calls, made them too. The usual tower business. Though Gonz usually did the phone calls because I was a minor, and I sounded like a squeaky little girl down the phone. So I kept to radioing then boys and bossing them around the beach.

'Man right in front of you Jesse'
'Struggling swimmer in backpackers'
'Go out for a paddle'
'Thief at north corner'
'Police are on thier way'
'Skatepark injury'
'Small child reported missing'

It just went on and on and on, until, my Dad walked in.

'Dad! Where have you been?' I smiled but was also concerned.

Hoppo POV:
Right, 8am, Marls should be at the tower and in the tower, I told the boys, she is not to leave the tower. They don't know exactly why, I'll leave that up to their imagination. Over the radio beside my desk, I could hear her giving orders, it was reassuring yet scary, thinking she is in danger.

Stacking up my papers I grabbed my key and locked my office door behind me and walked across the Pavillion to the tower.

There she was, swinging on the swivel chair, beside Gonzo. She had her too big uniform on and blonde hair swinging over her shoulders, she was too good to be in the danger she was in.

'Dad? Where have you been?' She laughed but I could tell the concern was there.

'You know, papers, work, paperwork? Look, I'm a busy man' I lied
'Can I ask, why am I in the tower? When can I go and save lives physically not over a radio?'
'Eh, you see, minors are less trustful than the older lifeguards' another lie
'Dad! Gonz would agree, I'm more mature than Maxi!'

I'd love to agree with her statement but, I couldn't.

'Well do your job up here well and we'll talk about the water another time' I laughed

She sulked and turned away to regain her vision on the ocean.

A knock at the door took me out of my trance , I opened it, a woman hands me a letter,

'For you Bruce' she icyly tells me, I have a bad feeling about this.

'Marls, Gonz I just have to answer a few more emails' I step out the back door past the empty first aid bed to read this out of sight.

Dear Bruce Hoppo,

So Cassandra my niece, has given you this note, I know where you are, you cannot hide nor can your daughter.

I have a plan, don't worry, this isn't over. I am more than capable of getting my revenge, you just need to sit back and relax and enjoy the ride.

So, soon, I will have what was once mine.

This is just a forewarning, don't meddle with the authority's if you want to see your daughter by the end of the month.

Thank you,
James Marcus

What the- I thought. I burst into the tower to check Marlow, she turned around with a jolt, looking at me bewildered, she was still here like I left her.

I still have her, no scratch that , I will always have her.

A/N : Thanks for reading these chapters, are they good cause idrk atm?
Sorry for the short chapter again, I'm trying to get better at that ahah.

Star and comment if you like this story/chapter.

Xo