chapter 44

Marlow POV:

Yesterday was magical. Have you ever had something you were about to say, then you have forgotten what you were actually going to say? Well, this was exactly that, but my entire life.

A weight lifted, all was at peace in the strange world. The feeling of elation from my best friends and most of all my Dad, you'll never realise how that has made me know that life is precious.

Today, waking up in my soft quilt, knowing who I am, what the day will hold. It's unbelievable, even though I still have stitching scars (the bandage cane off in the water and rain yesterday) and the back of my head is bandages and painkillers and constantly being administered, life's good.

I'm opening my curtains, soaking in the feeling of happiness. I breathe a deep breath in and out, I'm going to see Jack today. We broke up about a week or so ago, I can't help but feel we weren't meant to be together, like dating.

I'm fourteen, I have my life ahead of me to date. If it's meant to be we shall come back to eachother when we mature. Right now, I think being friends is the best thing.

I can imagine he feels the same, we see eye to eye on a lot of things. Some of the boys may be sad that we've 'broken up', but it's not the end, it's just a peace out. We're so young, so much has happened.

Let's just say, we're taking a little break, not dating just best friends. Keep in mind, we still like eachother, just timing is all wrong.

I get up and change into my clothes, I keep it causal and walk out of my room, checking up on Snapchat and Instagram.

'Hey Marl' I hear my Dad say as I enter the kitchen, he smile warmly at me.

'Hey Dad, I'm meeting Jack today' I sit down on the counter top chair, he smirks and looks down at his breakfast.

'Dad, you'll be happy to know, I don't want to date him just yet' he looks up wide eyed, then smiles, I can tell he's happy

'Really? You know if it has to do with me' he begins to trail off, I cut him off.

'Dad, it's nothing to do with you, just so much has happened we need to take a breather you know'
'As long as your both happy'
'Well, I best be going!' I happily grab an apple from the bowl in the centre of the counter.

'Okay! Be safe!' My Dad calls back as I head out the door, I've told them all why I went to the rocks, how I hit my head and all the little details leading up to the race.

Everyone was supportive, I thought they'd be angry, but they all took it well.

Walking down the promenade the sun at my back, smiling to locals passing by, even at the little kids who are looking at my battle scar uneasily.

I reach the tower promptly, I open the door, it's still early hours so it's only Beardy and Gonzo in the tower.

'Hey Marl!' Gonzo says looking into his binoculars happily.
'Hey lads, I'm just heading down the beach to meet Jack for a quick minute, just leaving my keys there' I point to the single locker in the tower.

'Oooooh Jack?' Beardy faces me and pretends to swoon, I laugh it off sarcastically.
'Yes, Jack, but we're just friends, genuinely!' I put my hands up in denfense and walk out of the tower and into the sandy dunes.

I see Jack, at the waters edge, he turns around looking around sporadically. I wave and smile, he eventually sees me and we both walk to meet in the middle. He has a little nose shaped cast on the bridge of his nose.

'Hey Marlow!' He says as we meet in the middle ground of sand.

'Hey Jack' a wave of anxiety washes over me

What if I break his heart?
Will he hate me forever?

'Marl, I get it, a lot has happened. You don't need to put it all into words, and yes, I have no problem being friends!' He hugs me and I wonder did I just say my thoughts aloud.

'Wow, you took the words out of my mind and mouth. So, your not angry?' I say pulling from his hug.

'Not at all! Look, we're 14! We're young if it's gonna happen it'll happen' he smiles, I am ecstatic that he still wants to be friends.

'Thanks Jack, you have no clue how much I have to thank you for! Thanks for understanding, being helpful and most of all saving me!' I say the last part a bit loudly and some tourists look at me with a weird look.

'No, Marl! Your my best friend, was I meant to sit back and watch you be drugged? Grab some popcorn?' He laughs in some sarcasm.

'In saying that, how are you really? I don't remember much of what happened but some of the boys told me someone beat you up!' I look at him wide eyed, he looks at the ground.

'Yeah, just a bit of rough and tumble, and a broken nose I guess?' He smiles and pints to his nose in a cast. 'On the other side, you really didnt remember a single thing?'

'Nope, not a thing! I didn't even know what a beach was Jack! A beach!' I laugh and look into the oceans line, how could I forget this beauty?

'Well, I have to go to an endurance training session in like 4 minutes flat, I'll see you around?'

'Not going anywhere Jack, not going anywhere!' I kindly wave him off as he makes a sprint to his session.

I walk back to the tower, sand getting in between my toes and breathing in the fresh, salty air.

Dad had been at the station the past few days to answer questions on Caroline and James, they couldn't really ask me questions on something I didn't realise.

My Dad pressed charges, both are sentenced to cyber crime, kindnapping and explicit drug use. I didn't even know half of the story, Dad never talked about James much, so when I heard about Mom and her crazy ex boyfriend I started laughing.

I've never been happier, I'm proud to say I'm fourteen years old and still figuring life out. Everyone is at my age, and at basically every other age.

When do you actually figure life out?

All I know,

Now I finally feel FREE

:)

the end

A/N: Hey guys! That concludes this book, please if you have liked this book, can I ask:

Will I write a sequel? Or I can write a totally different lifeguard book?

I'll take any suggestions for story lines of ideas below!

Thanks so much for the support on this book, y'all are incredible!

For the last time:

Xo