chapter 32

Marlow POV:

I was waiting for Caroline to arrive at our house. We agreed to go for a walk together during sunset. It was breathtaking outside, the view from my window was mesmerising and made me come back to reality.

My phone bleeped twice. I picked it up and checked what was making it vibrate.

See you soon Ms.Hopkins
Very soon

Two text messages made my gaze. What the actual? Who is this, why are they back texting me?

I slump into my seat beside my bed and wonder, is this just someone's new number? A prank?

I keep thinking for awhile. I decide to put it down to a prank.

Soon after, the doorbell rang. I jumped up off my seat and ran to the door. Caroline stood their in her lifeguard uniform and Nike black shorts. Hair swung around her shoulders gently.

'Ready to go Bambi?' She smiled and gestured to the promenade.

'Yep! Bye Dad!' I shut the door behind me not waiting for an answer.

We begin walking in a bit of silence, curating the mood and the scene.

'So.....I heard about the boys' she began to speak soothingly

'Yeah, we were all having fun at Dads party, when they just broke out into a different side of them. One I hadn't seen before' My voice cracked at the end, I really miss my best friends

'You should talk to them'

'They won't talk now, I pushed them away' I look at the ground of the promenade guilty

'Call them, get them to meet you in 10 minutes here' Caroline offers advice

'You know what, I might' I smile away the tears prickling and take out phone.

I stare at the dial button for a couple of seconds.

Should you try?
Remember what they did?
Be the bigger person
Never apologise

My head yet again fights with itself, balancing everything is hard. I have to make a decision.

'I'll text them' I say quietly

Hey Maxi, can you and Jesse meet me at the promenade outside the tower as soon as possible

I take a breath out and hit send warily.

'Good job. You won't regret it' Caroline says patting my back.

A bleep comes through, I pick up my phone yet again to see the response.

Sure, be there in 5

'He said yes!' I say a little too excited, I regain my calm composure and try to brush off what I had just said.

'I-I mean he said sure.' I smirk a little
'Okay, well I'll leave you to it!' Caroline runs off very quickly, she probably has places to be and people to see.

I walked a couple metres to the tower, the yellow paint darkend in the evening and the sea washing up on shore.

Maybe I should cancel?

My head is wizzing, I look around, it's now getting quite dark, I feel a bit vulnerable.

'Marl? Where's Caroline?' Jesse looks at me wide eyed when I turn around bewildered at their presence

'W-what? Oh, she left me here' I stutter out not quite sure what to say.

'Marl, were really, really sorry' Maxi looks at the ground and bites his lip