chapter 36

Jesse POV:

Maxi and I went straight to Bondi on our boards, not caring about the competition. Hoppo had been notified and was distraught.

The entire lifeguard service was standing on the shore making plans for the search party. It had been 10 minutes since the last person had got in from the race, now alarm bells were ringing.

Hoppo began talking in and gathering us into a circle.

'Okay, so, evacuate the crowds to the streets, they can look there. Lifeguards search the waters and beaches, it's our duty. We can search every beach....except Marourbra. That's not our property, we can't do it without per-'

'I can do it' I say in a low tone, Marourbra has been my home and territory for years with the Bra Boys. I didn't leave on the best note considering they all wanted me to live out a life of social unrest and illegal wrong doings. So I packed up and practically pleaded with Hoppo to let me join the service.

I owe him one.

'But Jesse, Marourbra right now is really dangerous' Chappo tries to stop me, everyone has their eyes on me worried and concerned.

'I know the Bra Boys, they know me, I know what they can do, therefore I know I'm the only one who can help' I reason with the circle of colleagues. Hoppo looks at the ground unsure.

'I'll go with you Jess' Maxi looks at me, everyone is now piercing their eyes into him, willing him not to go.

'Maxi, you could be seriously hurt, weekend nights they have huge parties which are full of fights and drugs etc' I look at him, like I look at an innocent puppy about to be thrown into a volcano.

'No. Jesse, Marl is practically our godam sister. She gets hurt I get hurt. Besides, she may not even be there' He looks at me, I smile and nod at him solemnly.

'Right that settles it. You two go to Marourbra' Hoppo sights and points to the jet ski, we both make our way down, my legs slightly shaky.

'Look boys, radio us if anything comes up' Box looks at me thankfully.

'Will do' Maxi replies, taking the words from my mouth.

'Hey? What's that?' I hear Jake call from behind us, he was pointing near the rocks at a flat blue object.

We all bolt our heads, hoping it'd be Marl, instead it was a weird shaped object to be near the rocks at this time at night.

'No way, is that a surf board?' I hear Jethro gasp and keep his eyes fixated on the water.

'GO NOW!' I shout as Maxi launches the ski into the water frantically , everyone is gasping and really trying to work out what it is.

I hop onto the back of the ski and we take off, Maxi in the driver's seat with a half done up life jacket.

Maxi POV:

We're racing over to where the surfboard shaped object is, we're trying to think positively.

Jesse and I are going top speed to get there as quickly as we can. I can hear people muttering on the shore, I gulp thinking of what lies ahead.

'Don't get too close Maxi' Jesse says behind me, we can't get too close to the rocks to risk a turnover or a smash and clash with the rock bed.

'Okay I'll slow here, you take over the driving and I'll dive in.' I instruct Jesse, he nods, I glance back to shore, everyone is really worried about Marl.

Slowing the ski down 40 metres from the now what we know, blue board, I dive in, the water is cold and unforgiving.

I start a simple swim movement to the board, the closer I got the more my heart sank. I knew this wasn't going to be good.