chapter 11

Maxi POV:

Marlow and I were strolling down the Pavillion, the breeze was inviting and the sun high in the sky.
I looked at her beside me, care free and enjoying her life, but a dark secret was there.

The texts still are planted in my mind. I have to confront her about them, I can't imagine her unsafe, I want to save her.

Arriving at the café, I wiped my thongs down of sand, Marl following suit. A waitress showed us to our table and we sat down in the packed café. I had been patrolling all day away from her so we hadn't really talked, I heard about the incident earlier, not wanting to make a fuss I didn't want to dwell on it too much.

'So...first kiss?' I laughed poking fun at her
'Ahem, no, that doesn't count! It was totally forced and unromantic' she bickered back

Silence filled the space between us.

'Marls, do you have something to tell me?'
'Okay, fine Maxi, I have a small I think date tomorrow'

What?

'Wait, you have a boyfriend?' Totally taken aback I am, the boys have always been the only people in her life, now theirs ANOTHER?

'No! Maxi! It's just a hangout, he saved me today from drowning basically'

I was pleased to hear this but her eyes told me something else was going on.

Marlow POV:
Maxi was quizzing me like I was in court. Looking me up and down, wanting to know all my secrets. The texts were in my head, what if I'm being assassinated tomorrow? Next month?

Kidnapped?
Drugged?

The possibilities are endless, worry has now flooded me and I can hardly contain my tears. I feel tears prickle my eyes.

'Maxi, look, maybe we should do this another time' I swallow keeping back tears.

'Your safe with me'  he mutters

What the-
How can he read my mind?
He puts his hand roughly through his blonde hair, he's nervous, he only does that when he's nervous.

'I really don't know anymore' I choke, a single tear paths it's way down my tan cheek.

'I know, I know about the texts Marlow' using my full name I cracked, tears welling up, lump in my throat.

'I can help, I can bring this to the police, my uncles a policeman in Brisbane...' he trails off , I cut him off before he can see much more

'No, if I make a fuss, I won't be allowed to do anything freely! My Dad is already protective over me even leaving the Tower!' I try my best to get my point across.

'You have to tell him Marls' he looks me in the eye, deep and unwillingly I look back, he has a point, but not one I want to go through with.

'It could be nothing, people have hackers you know! Anyway Dad can wait a little longer, he wouldn't understand this type of situation' I roll my eyes

'Let me tell Jesse, then two people can look out for you' I like this idea of Maxis, discreet yet my two best friends can help me.

'Fine okay, but no one else Maxi! I mean it!' I say laughing a bit because he has a habit of spreading the word too much.

'Right okay! Now, tell me about this boy?' He diverts the subject matter

'He's blonde, blue eyed, tan, great surfer, cute, funny, handsome, great, cute, hero... did I mention cute?' I giggle like a little girl at the thought of Jack, he was my first real crush.

'What's his name? That'd be great?' Maxi smirks
'Jack' I reply still in a trance of today's events

'Right, so is he like 30 years old? Does he have a criminal record?' He says laughing at his joke which I don't find funny

'He looks about my age, I'll get to the bottom of that tomorrow and come on Maxi!' I scoff and roll my eyes for what seems like the a thousand time today.

Our milkshakes arrive, strawberry with two cherry's on top. The usual order, we didn't even have to ask we come here so much.

We bid our thanks to the waitress and go back to our conversation.

'Maxi, another thing, don't tell anyone except Jesse, non of the boys know, I might just break it to them tomorrow morning. They really are like 30 extra Dads when it comes to boys. When I go back they'll be interrogating me about the stupid boy I saved and the kiss!' I cross my arms , visibly annoyed.

'Right okay, calm.' Maxi smirks and takes a sip from his pink milkshake. 'We should be heading back'

'Yeah I'm on jet ski with Jesse' I say standing up grabbing my bag.

We thank the waiters and make our way to the tower. Sun still high and breeze complimenting me, it felt really good to have everything off my chest. I don't even know how Max found out about the texts, I don't really care/mind to be honest. Looking at him walking into the tower before me I had the reassurance that I needed to power through my day.

That my friend, was put to an end quickly when all the boys gathered to ask me about the incident today.

Trying to walk out the door quickly, the scruff of my bag was grabbed by Kerrbox stopping me from going any further. Brilliant, now to let the games commence I think to myself.

'Marlow Emily Hopkins, come here right now'
'Box, it was nothing, he had survival instinct and pulled me in. Came out with a bit of a scrape and a slight sting from a blue bottle, nothing new!' I say looking away trying not make eye contact with all of the vultures watching me closely.

'Yeah yeah, and then have you forgotten the whole grabbing you and kissing you?' Gonzo smirked but sounded angry.

'You should've left it to us' Harries crossed his arms.
'What did the police say?'
'And this other boy, what did he do?'
'That was irresponsible on both sides'
'Your too young for board rescues'
'Train harder'

'STOP! HOW DO YOU THINK I FEEL? My Dad will never let me leave this stupid tower! I have no girl to talk to at all! My Mom is gone, this fourteen year old only has a ton of Dads! Put yourself in my shoes, I want to be treated older not like that ten year old you all saw 4 years ago heartbroken!' I storm out of the tower, I want to go home, home to my mom and my dad not the new home I want the old home.

I run and just keep running, I run down to north bondi and just sit there, crying, I put my head in my hands. The radio I have attached to me is going off like crazy, my dads voice booms over it:

'Marlow, come back here, I'm after being informed of the incident and I need you here' he sounds sympathetic yet angry

'No, go away' I mutter info the radio, I leave it on mute and just watch the swell lap over the sand bank. The seagulls chirping and the glisten of the sun consumes me.

Looking around, girls my age with girls, moms, grandparents. Not me. I decide to go for a walk along the cliff face to get my mind back to where it was. Would I be killed for this, yes, do I care,
No.

A/N: First rebel for Marlow I suppose!

Please keep safe and healthy during these times!

Star and comment if you like this story/chapter.

Xo