chapter 33

Marlow POV:

2.36pm

I fumble through the cupboards, scavenging for something to eat. I had have no work today, yet, the biggest challenge of all was tonight.

The lifeguard challenge was a kilometre run to Bronte, 500 metre swim to Tamarama and finally a board paddle back to Bondi. It was enduring and tested every lifeguards abilities.

I have been training whatever I can, I am too young to safely lift any heavy weights and can't enter the local gym as it's over 16s. Same goes for dieting, I can't go on any crazy diet because Dad says it'll wreck my immune system as I'm still growing.

So, that leaves me with runs, swims and board paddling. It's safe to say I'm going to win this year hands down. Not!

I can't do much about my circumstances so I better just keep positivity rolling, which is a hard enough task.

My mind is already bogged down in Jack land, thinking:

Will he forgive me?
Are we even friends anymore?

I agreed to myself that I'll work it out, I already worked out the Maxi and Jesse incident, I can work out this.

Setting eyes on some fruit in a bowl on the marble counter I decide I'll make a healthy smoothie. Grabbing some natural yoghurt, raspberries, strawberries, bananas and apples I release them into the blender to blend up.

Pressing the button on the blender, the white noise of the blades makes me go back into my thoughts.

After a couple minutes of thinking about school, Jack, the challenge, Jack, how I need a new surfboard and did I mention Jack?

I pour out the pink thick smoothie into a portable cup, i don't want to eat anything too heavy as we have the challenge tonight.

I need to go to the tower to sort out my board and map out the area, get a feel for it. It was going to be a hard race for sure.

Setting off, I lock my door behind me and carry my smoothie down the promenade. The weather was quite good at the moment, great surfing conditions.

The breeze coresssd my blond hair sweeping my shoulders. I had a light blue tank top and black Nike shorts on, looking very sporty if I do say so myself.

I reach the tower smiling at the calming wind, I open the door and walk straight in, it's basically my second home at this point.

'Hey lads!' I smile at Gonzo, Maxi, Chappo and Singlets who were all somewhere dotted around the tower.

'Hey Marls, ready for tonight? First one!' Chappo pats my head and smiles at me. It kind of was a big deal, wasn't it.

'Of course, I just want to finish properly, with no help!' I shrug at the thought of not placing technically because I let the waves take the better of me.

'You'll do fine! Your one of us!' Singlets looks into his binoculars and spots a distresses swimmer. He radios accordingly to the boys right in front of the swimmer.

I learn a lot from observing, seeing how to keep calm and collected in such challenging times. It's not easy of course, but they do it and execute it flawlessly.

'Right, well I'm going to head, I'll see you tonight for sure boys!' I leave the tower and drop off my cup at the table beside the first aid bed. Heading down south to where the race begins, I try to make a plan of action.

So, if I get let off there, I come around the corner, past the sand bank and directly to the rocks. I can meander my way through each crevice in the rocks, leaving me with a straight edge to shore to start the board paddle. I should probably keep to the rocks, like Caroline said. She is a pro surfer and ex iron woman after all Marls.

Good, so that's my rough plan. I should be getting a handicap before the rest anyway.

I see Caroline waving to me from South Tower, I pick up a job between tourists and make it down to where she is situated.

'Hey Bambi! How's training going?' She brings me into a friendly hug and looks down to meet my eyes.

'Pretty good, just mapping out my plan' I tell Caroline my entire plan from start to finish, she nods and seems to really like it.

'What about you? Getting ready to cheer me on?'

'Of course! Just a quick wonder, where do the clubbies keep their jet ski? The boys up north we're looking for it for backup earlier' she asks contently

'Well, If I'm not mistaken, it should be kept in the store house beside their main clubby post down here, South of Bondi.'

'Ah, right good I'll tell them that'

'So what are your plans for the rest of the week?'

'Well I've been working on a thing or two on the other beaches, so that'll all come into play in the next day or so'

'Nice, what beach is your favourite?' I say keeping an eye on the water

'Tama is good for strolls along the beach, Bronte is good for swimming and Bondi has more culture to offer but Marourbra is probably the best'

Marourbra? That's where Bra Boys hang out, they're bad news from what I have heard.

'Oh , why Marourbra?' I ask inquisitively
'Oh, well, it's.....good surf' she sounds a bit unsure of herself, maybe she just loves it unconditionally.

'Yeah, I get you, no particular reason I suppose' I smile up at her height, she smiles back, looks a bit sweaty, the sun is really shining today though.

'Right well, I better get back to work!' She says reluctantly

'I better start changing and prepping!' I shout as I walk away waving at her happily.

I really trust Caroline, like a big sister I wish I had!

A/N: I'd love to witness a lifeguard challenge, sounds very entertaining!

Vote and comment if you'd like

Xo