chapter 29

Marlow POV:

I had just emerged from the shower dripping wet with a towel wrapping round my body. My hair is a dirty blonde colour under the waters saturation.

I look directly at the mirror in front of me, I start posing and pretending different situations tonight. Doesn't everyone do this? Like anticipation of what is going to go down? Practice smiles for pictures?

Maybe it's just me, but nonetheless I need to get a move on, it's currently 7.23pm and the party kicks off in 37 minutes, I better quicken my pace up.

I change into my clothes, a white top with a 'v' dip in the neck, my shorts are a burnt orange and have white stripes going through the embroidery.

Pretty basic 14 year old outfit. I grab my pink brush and star to brush out my hair, pretty effortlessly my hair isn't overly thick. Now, to blow-dry my hair.

12 minutes later....

That'll do, the temperature here is still quite warm, I can let the ends air dry the rest of the way.

'Marlow! Are you nearly ready?' I hear my Dad call slightly annoyed with how long I'm taking, beauty takes time and patience!

'Yea...nearly!' I slur my words as I brush through it one last time. I burst out of the bathroom door, I am running behind schedule, my Dad will be late to his own party, because of me!

'Dad, I'll be right there! Just need to grab my converse and socks' I say fast walking my way to my room to get my white socks and converse I had laid out an hour prior.

I scan my room, in the corner, as suspected, my converse sitting there. I keep my pace and pick them up putting each one on hopping on one foot as I quickly rush the process.

Okay, phone? Check. Money? Check.

I'm happy with one last look in the mirror and head out to meet my Dad.

He just stares at me, deep in thought.

Come on, Dad. I swear I picked my most PG outfit of the lot! If he sends me back I'll-

'You look just like your Mum'

What? Pleased with that!

'Dad! Stop getting emotional! It's not the time or place for tears!' I rub my head and laugh at his emotional posture.

'I'm not crying! It's just I see her in you!' He holds my hand tightly, I look down at our interlocking hands and back to his eyes, I can tell he's proud.

'Okay let's get going!' I break the silence and gesture him towards the door, 'your party won't wait for you!'

'Okay alright' Dad grabs the keys off the marble counter top , I open the door and walk out to the soft, warm breeze, Dad follows and locks the door behind us.

We walk over to our car, The Bucket List pub isn't even that far, we could walk, but I suppose my Dad hasn't had the best luck with walking, come to think of it, neither have I.

In the car, it's getting dark now, the sun is setting and I look out the glass to see the sun setting over Bondi, splashing the water with an orange colour.

'Wow, that's really pretty!' I smile keeping my gaze on the water, Dad nods his head and keeps driving. Within 3 minutes we were outside the Bucket List and parked up.

'Let's go party!' I throw my hands up in the air and do a small dance, my Dad looks at me to basically say: Your 14 this is not a party, more of a family reunion