chapter 22

Jack POV:

She's really, really good at catching sets. I've learnt so much about her in the past couple days, I really like her. More than a friend, but she might not like me. The kiss probably meant nothing, she was being polite by meeting up with me again probably.

She looks really happy riding the waves back to shore, like she's in her element. Her ice blond hair in two really cute plaits sit neatly on her collar bone as she takes one home.

'Hey Jack? Jack? Are you okay?' She starts waving in front of my face, I must've been daydreaming for longer than I thought.

'Yeah, I am, just distracted by your skill.' I wink nudging her playfully.

'Hey Jack, you've probably seen all over media outlets but my Dad is in a coma right now, if I seem a bit off, that's the sole reason, but he has a good chance of waking up really soon!' She smiles excitedly.

I had heard on the news about her Dad, she really loved him and he loved her just as much. I felt real bad for her, only child, only parent. Must be hard.

'Yeah, I saw, didnt want to bring it up in case I tugged the wrong string! That's good news, when he does I'll have to meet him, the over protective Dad, Bruce Hopkins!' I laugh

'Yeah, tell me about it!' She hops off her baked and wades her way through the water.

I follow her, falling for her is an understatement.

Deano POV:

Marlow is back with this boy, he seems actually really nice, even though I want to stop him and pay him down for anything illegal. I keep my cool, Marls needs a friend, a close one if she wants at that, to distract from the whole James, Hoppo fiasco.

The police ruled it as a fluke assault, I'm not so convinced, Hop is nice and fair to everyone, the only logical explanation is James.

This is no place to dwell on such matters, with a heat stroke victim on the first aid bed, tons of people coming over for bluey stings and not to mention Marlows lost child situation.

It's only 12pm! I regain vision on the water, a radio signal comes through from the clubbies up north bondi.

'Volunteer lifesavers to central'
Copy, go on
'A suspected shark has been sighted off Ben Buckler, and later a surfer has reported one at South end'
Right, should we investigate further?
'The surfer has proof of the chunk off his board, I'd ring the alarm to be safe'
Cool, I'll take care of that now.

A shark, what a day, a couple hours in and there's a shark in the water.

Then it hits me, Marls and Jack are down south.

I forget about the alarm and hit my radios play button,

Central to South Bondi, we have a confirmed shark sighting. Is Marls and Jack far out?

Coming over back to me, Gonzo

Yes, I have a visual on the two of them, 200 odd metres out, should I call them in?

No, standby, I'm ringing the shark alarm.

I get up and scramble over to the corner where the small flick of a switch was, I flipped it and i heard the squawks of birds flying the coop above the tower.

I look out to see thousands of startled people, grabbing their children and booking it to the shore.

Marls and Jack aren't moving? What are they doing boys?

I hear Gonzo come over the radio frantically.

Call them in right now!

I practically scream down the radio.

Marlow POV:

We were having the most amazing time, I had explained my situation with my Dad to Jack. He was understanding and also didn't make a huge deal as if I was the one assaulted.

This made me like him even more. He was cute, handsome and great personality.

'Jack, can I tell you something?' I bite my lip and look deep into his eyes, he pulls me closer.

'I want to make us more, like more than friends' I laugh nervously thinking he'd laugh with rage

'Well, great minds think alike' he says back much to my surprise. I take him into my grasp and kiss him on the lips.

A loud blaring noise stops us, it's the shark alarm, my initial thought is:

If they think a shark alarm is going to stop us kissing, I swear to-

Then when I realise Gonzo is on the shore ushering people out, I know that it's not a drill.

'Marlow, look!' Jack points to a dorsal fun 20 metres from us. We're sitting ducks on the most scary water species on Bondi.

He takes no hesitation and picks me up bridal style, places me on his board as he swims to get mine. I do a silent pray for him to come back.

He actually makes it back with my board. We're 200 odd metres from shore. The shark is now circling us and I just know we're about to be eaten alive.

I start to wave violently at Gonzo, hoping he sees me and gets the message.

'Gonz! Help! The shark is circling us right now!' Tears are rolling down my cheeks and I look up into Jacks eyes, filled with worry. He couldn't do anything yet I sensed he wanted to help.

We sat on our boards for 30 seconds debating our next move. Suddenly a strong nudge catapults Jack into open waters. I do not hesitate and jump in after him.

I look around, the shark is heading straight for him, I debate wether to leave him to be eaten or try and save him with two outcomes, death or happiness.

I decided to go for it, if he dies, I might aswell too.

I propel myself to him, lift him up, which was a challenge, and put him safely on his board. I clambered onto mine, legs and arms shaking.

He was coughing up water next to me on his blue board. Taking deep heavy breaths I knew he needed oxygen and fast.

'It's okay, Jack, we're going to get to safety' I played with his hair as he looked gaunt and pale. He lay on his rescue board stiff as a table.

I heard a familiar voice from offshore,

'Marlow Emily Hopkins, get in right now, it's not safe!' It was Gonz on the loudspeaker

I look around the waters, the dorsal fin was still am there, my voice was shaky, but not as shaky as all of my limbs.

I shook my head a Gonzo. Showing him I can't and that I'm in danger, I point to the dorsal fin which is closing in on me.

My breathing quickened, it felt like what I felt seeing the texts for the first time, I felt dizzy and as if I had taken 3 green whistles at once.

I looked Gonzo in the eye from far away and then back to Jack, pale but has his eyes open.

I stumble back on my board, my elbow props me up, I can't help myself, I topple over completely. I look up to the blue sky, my vision becoming blurry in the face of death. My side vision can still see the fin, closer than ever.

My board rocks violently, I knew in that moment that my board had been bitten and I was next.

Suddenly, my vision was given away.

Everything was black.

A/N: What do we think? Will Marlow live?

Make sure to Star and comment

Xo