chapter 12

Marlow POV:

The cliff was quiet, only a couple of couples strolling along, some with kids and others living in what I suppose is a summer-fling. I smile as look out onto the ocean, blue and clear, dolphins roaming and people catching waves. It was so tranquil and calming, the ocean really was my happy place.

The feeling was short-lived. It soon started to bucket down rain. Just. My. Luck. I start running to a little surf shop to take cover, in seconds I'm drowned in rainwater. I stop inside the shop, no one is there but me and another man dressed in all black, weird.

'Hey Marlow' he mutters slyly
I turn bewildered at this mans recognition of me.

'Jesse, is that you? Is this a prank?' I stutter out hoping for it to be true

'Pretty lady, no, I'm here for you.'
'You have the wrong Marlow'
'No, Marlow, you remind me of Emily. Naïve and doesn't see a man when she knows one'

I don't even think to answer I run, I scream. My breathing is heavier and I don't even stop to catch my breath. Not even to see if he is following me. Raindrops are getting stuck between my eyelashes and I blink to try get them away. My vision has decreased as the rain has picked up.

Derelict. Bondi was a ghost town, the sun was gone so everyone else followed suit. I glanced behind me with all my courage,

He was still there, now walking after me.

My legs burned from dodging traffic cones and jumping over walls, I was sprinting to the tower.

I kept screaming, I don't really know why it just felt fitting. Considering I am sure I am about to be kidnapped, wouldn't you do the same?

It was 4:03pm.

The cliff face didn't seem that far until I was being chased home with a time limit. It felt never ending, my hair flowed behind me, tears reflected my eyes. It was dark now, the grey clouds had brought every drop of rain to Bondi.

I can see the tower, like a knight in shining armour.
I push myself to sprint the extra kilometre or so, I can see some of the boys on the beach in the buggy. That's when I realize, my radio! I scramble to my back pocket and put it on unmute, their was commotion going on, here's what I could hear:

'Where would she have left to?'
'What if she is lost?'
'She knows Bondi really well though'
'What if she's in danger?'

Voices conversed over the radio, I tried to muffle out some words, but the rain was making the radio malfunction.

'Guys open the door please' I shout in, no reply, I don't know if it has gone through. The radio sparks and I drop it mid sprint, in fear of being electrocuted. I know Dad will kill me , but I'll be killed by the man either way so?

I finally reach the tower, my breath ceases and I bang heavily on the door, tears streaming down my face.

Dad opens the door.

'DAD! Thank you, thank you.' I hug him so tightly I never wanted to let go.

'Woah, what's going on, where'd you go?' He keeps in the hug.

I say nothing a sit down, Kerrbox gives me his jacket and Whippet gives me his coffee to warm me up. I was shivering and looked like a drowned rat.

'H-h-he was' I stutter out in fear, stopping to gather myself

By now every member on today was standing around me, concerned.

'A man- he was following me! He knew my - my name Dad! He said I was just like Mom, naïve' I look at the ground then look up to meet Deanos eyes, he looked at me then at Dad then to Kerrbox.

My Dad turns to me and says, 'Where is he?' In a stern voice.

I scramble to the window, dripping wet. The man was nowhere to be seen? Where could he have gone?

'W-what? H-how?' I put my head in my hands.

Hoppo POV:

That's it. He's come this close to getting to Marlow, I'm never letting this happen again. The boys are all really worried, their expressions are mirroring mine.

'Look Marls, were sorry, we shouldn't have blamed you for today.' Reidy begins

'We're just worried, we know it's not fun having no girl around but, you have Harries and that's the closest thing you can get' Gonzo smirks

'You can always talk to the old blokes, the young ones are fun for surfing but not for actual emotion' Harries adding to the conversation.

'It's just, your like our little sister or daughter. Your the only female and youngest member of the bondi family.' Whippet pats her back

'So, well try and have more faith in you' Deano smiles

'Ahem, and you'll always have Maximus for surfing or milkshakes' maxi winks

'And for the record, you missed our jet ski session today, don't worry, nothing exciting happend because of the rain' Jesse laughs ruffling her drenched blonde hair.

'Thanks guys, I'm sorry too. For everything. I need to know when to take help.' Marlow smiles for the first time all day, a genuine smile.

Seeing all the boys come together for Marls was the best situation, James is still out there and looking for trouble, but these moments are what make everything worth it.

'This might be a good time to announce, I have a bit of a hang out with the boy that saved me today' Marley mutters under her breath, even though we all heard her.

'Excuse me, what?' I ask wide eyed
'A date?' Kerrbox smirks at me
'Boys, it all starts here!' Deano rubs his head
'Next is marriage!' Reidy laughs

'No! It's not a date! Just a friendly hang out!' She says, giving her the side eye I'm not convinced.

'I need a friend my age!' She backs up her point

'What about us?' Maxi and Jesse say in unison
'Lads, your 5 and 6 years older than me! Give me a break, another boy my age won't make a difference' she smirks at them , they get fake offended and gasp.

'Look drowned rat, I'll take you home girl' Jesse says, I agree the state of her! She's in no way fit to work the rest of today. Anyway it's raining, it'll be quiet I suppose.

She walks down the stairs in a way, way too big jacket of Box's which is down to her knees and grabs her bag. Jesse grabs his keys and waves goodbye for now. Marlow was about to leave,

She runs back to me and hugs me

'Thanks Dad!'

Then she looks around the room ,

'Alright, thanks Dads!' She says laughing walking out the door happily. Following Jesse to his car.

For a split second I forgot about James.

A/N: Would like to be a daughter of one of the senior lifeguards?

Have a great day/night wherever you are!

Star and comment if you like this story/chapter.

Xo