chapter 9

Hoppo POV:
'Hey Dean? Box? Can you come to my office for a quick minute' I say over the radio

'Copy that mate'
'Yeah, copy'

They both reply happily, I have a feeling I'm making the right decision telling them. Dean has a daughter of his own and Box has Marls and that's enough of a reason for them to help me.

My wooden oak desk was messed with papers and pens erratically placed on it. I do a quick tidy up, the big brass clock ticking away behind me. The white walls of my office lined with pictures of the team, lifeguard challenges and old family pictures. It really was the centre of my life all in one room.

Minutes pass, I hear knocks on the door leading into my office, Deano takes off his hat and enters, Kerrbox behind him. They seem quite serious, it's almost like they know what's about to be told to them.

'Boys, I've called you here as I have a bit of bother going on right now' I start and pause for a minute and look down at the ground, how can I do this?

'Hop, you know we'd do anything for you'
'We're mates, and nothing will change'

It's like they sensed my pain. Thankful doesn't cover it.

'It's Marley, she's in danger.' They're eyes widen and eager to help I keep going 'My late wife's ex from high school, we used to be mates, has a string on jealousy for what I've apparently done to him. Emily ran to me when he broke it off with her, he was toxic, I always loved Em, so from that moment we never stopped loving.'

Deano and Box looked forlorn at the thought of Emily.

'James, his name, said he was happy, happy that his mate was happy. Far from it. He stopped contacting us and we lost connection. Always thought he'd moved on and we drifted, until he showed up at our honeymoon after our wedding. Tried to take Emily from me, I rang the police, detained him they did.'

I swallow with a lump in my throat.

'Thought It was the end of that. The last thing he said to me: 'I'll find you again and I'll take something you love from you like you did to me' I was scared, until I heard he had been jailed for 10 years , due to many offences not just ours.'

'What does this mean?' Dean stared at me
'What does he have to do with Marley' Box shook his head in disbelief.

'That night we went out to celebrate start of season, he called me, saying he was going to do something to her, take her, do anything, just make sure that I felt the pain he once felt for Emily. He's here, Sydney, he's back and wants revenge. If I contact authorities he said I'll pay, if I don't I'll pay the price also? So, I'm telling you two, keep it on the down low, just have an extra look out for Marls'

'So she doesn't know?' Box asks

'No, she's too young to understand, she doesn't even know about James'

'Don't worry, he won't touch her Hop, not if we have anything to do with it' Deano says looking at Kerrbox. For the first time in a long time, I felt at ease.

Marlow will okay Hop, calm down.

'Now, go back to work and just remember what I said' I said sending them off.

Marlow POV:
This absolute god of a boy was still here and it's 10am. Maybe I should go and talk to him, Jeth won't mind if I wander for a second?

The rhino revved up and Jeth spotted a struggling swimmer. The breeze picked up, I tore off my top and shorts and headed for the water forgetting the dream boat of a boy.

'Rhino to Bondi Central, Marls going in can you give an accurate description of the boy?' Jeth radioed the tower.

'Seems young, hands gone up, go in now' I heard Gonz bellow.

I grab the blue rescue board and ran in to the cool salty water paddling with all my might.

'Hey mate you okay?' I ask soothingly
He was about 15 or 16, he tugged at my leg violently as a sign of survival instinct.

I scream as his nails scrape my skin. I look above me and see the shadow of the boy on the rescue board. How dare he?

Suddenly a pain struck my leg, blue bottles.

My arms hardly worked and I knew I wouldn't reach the shore on my own. My patient was in the rip on my board, I was going to drown and die from stings of jellyfish!

Suddenly I get dragged up by arm, I was planted on a white surfboard, I cough and splutter while wincing a bit at the stinging in my leg.

'You're okay, don't worry I have you' a soothing voice from behind me said.
I turn around , it's the mystery boy I had a two hour crush on. Blonde hair and his ice eyes better up close may I add.

'Eh, t-thanks' I smile speechless and clamber onto the rescue board behind us. He waves at me and I paddle the boy back to shore in a trance.

Then it hits me, this boy tried to kill me!

'Excuse me! Do you realise the danger you put yourself and me in back there?' I shout 'Do not ever, ever tug a lifeguard down! I wanted to save you! You've wasted precious minutes!'

I secretly was very happy as I had just met my dream boy.

'I am sorry, your too beautiful to die anyway' he replies , I stand their in shock. Jethro is now standing behind me after watching what just went down in the water, he was asking me was I okay but it was muffled as I was in shock of this boy.

'Hey, whatever, it's summer! Shoot your shot, whenever just not me!' I shout angrily

'Okay I'll shoot my shot!' He purses his lips together and grabs me by the waist and smashes his lips into mine.

'Hey mate! She doesn't want you!'

The boy stops trying to kiss me.

I turn, it's mystery boy, he's still here! My heart flutters at the look of him, defensive over me! Stop me from having a heart attack! I am totally falling for this stranger now.

I back away to Jethro, he hugs me and is really worried.

'Hey, hey, hey Marls? Are you okay? Did he really just do that? I'd sort him out but we're not allowed to interfere with the public. I'll get the police!' Jethro is running to the rhino and radios the tower.

From what I hear I've the radio, they all saw everything.

Before I can stop Jethro from causing a scene, I hear a groan. Oh god no, the two teen boys were having a full fledged physical fight, throwing punches.

A.N: This chapter contained a lot! Hope it made sense haha.

Star and comment if you like this story/chapter.

Xo