Chapter 12

Veronica sits on her couch, surrounded by books, papers and notes. She's studying or trying to study. Little three year old Valerie sits on the floor, playing with her barbies. She giggles and makes noises and usually Veronica really adores that but she can't focus. She can't tell her daughter to be quiet, she's too little to understand. In moments like this she wishes she could just ask her parents to watch Valerie, it would make it so much easier.

"Mommy play with me?" the little girl asks. She stands in front of her mom and holds a barbie towards her.

"I can't baby. Mommy has a really important exam tomorrow so mommy has to study but we can play tomorrow"

"No now!"

"Sweetheart I can't"

The toddler falls to the floor. She starts crying and screaming hysterically so Veronica is forced to put her books aside and lift her daughter into her lap. Valerie buries her face in her mom's chest. Her tears damp Veronica's top and her little hands hold onto her tightly.

"My sweet little baby" Veronica whispers. She rocks her daughter in her arms until she calms down. "I'm so, so sorry. I know I have to study a lot at the moment and we don't play as much as we used to but mommy is almost done with college and then we can play every day and go to the park and snuggle as much as you want. I love you Val, more than anything else in this world"

The little girl looks up. She places her hands on Veronica's cheeks and pulls her head down to hers. "I love mommy too"

Veronica giggles and kisses her daughter all over her face before she pulls her back into her chest. She runs her fingers through her dark curls and keeps rocking her.

"Do you want to play again?"

"No mommy. We snuggle"

"Why are you suddenly so attached to me sweetie? The past few days you didn't want to go to preschool, you want to snuggle all day long, I can't even go to the bathroom alone. Are you okay?"

"Mommy" she mumbles and cuddles deep into her Veronica's chest.

"Sometimes I wish you would be old enough to answer my questions. I'm just worried about you baby" she says before she grabs her book. Valerie doesn't seem to like that though. She whines and pushes the book away. "No!"

"Valerie! You can stay here but I really have to study"

"No mommy!

"Yes!"

Valerie crosses her arms and starts to cry again. Veronica sighs. It's really exhausting sometimes that her daughter is so much like her. A little more Andrews and a little less Lodge would make most arguments shorter and easier.

"What's wrong with you sweetheart?" she whispers and kisses her forehead. She grabs her phone and checks the time before she wraps both of her arms around her daughter again.

"It's time for dinner. Are you hungry?"

Valerie nods.

"Do you want to help me cook?"

"Si" she mumbles so Veronica gets up and walks into the kitchen with Valerie in her arms. She places her on the kitchen counter and wipes her tears away. "Mac and cheese?"

"Si" she cheers and claps her hands.

Veronica knows Valerie won't leave her alone after dinner but she really has to study. She can't ask her friends because all of them have to study. She knows her parents are busy so she has no choice but to call Archie.