Chapter 29

It's 7 in the morning when Valerie walks into her parents' bedroom. Both of them are already awake. Baby Freddie lies on Archie's bare chest.
Valerie grins when she climbs into the bed and lies down next to Veronica. She snuggles into her side and lies her head down on chest.

"Good morning sweetheart" Veronica giggles.

"Morning mommy and daddy and little Freddie" Valerie smiles. She reaches over to her brother and carefully strokes his little hand. "His hands and feet are so tiny"

"Mhm" Veronica smiles. She kisses Valerie's head and starts to run her fingers through her hair. "Yours were even smaller"

"Smaller than that?"

"You were a really tiny baby" Veronica giggles. "But you also were a really easy baby. You didn't cry much, you basically ate everything I gave you, you slept through the night quickly and you always wanted to cuddle"

"I was a great baby" Valerie says confidently.

Veronica laughs and kisses Valerie's head again.

"She's so your daughter" Archie chuckles.

"Is that a bad thing Mr Andrews?"

"Not at all Ronnie" he laughs. He strokes his son's little head and smiles widely.

"Mommy what are we doing today?" Valerie asks.

"We didn't plan anything honey. Why?"

"Can we go to New York? I want to show Freddie my old room and I want to eat pizza at our favorite Italien restaurant"

"That's a great idea Val" Veronica smiles before she turns her head to Archie. "Are you willing to go on a little road trip with a six year old and a new born Archiekins?"

"If that's what my girls want, of course"

•••

The entire ride to New York, Valerie was holding Freddie's little hand. She sang to him and told him stories to distract him and keep him quiet and it worked. The little boy didn't cry once.
Veronica stared into the rearview mirror from the passenger seat the entire time and watched her children.

When Veronica opens the door to their apartment Valerie squeals. She walks past her mom and runs into the living room. She jumps onto the couch and waits for her parents. Veronica and Archie follow, holding each other's hands. Archie carries Freddie in his little car seat. He places him on the coffee table before he and Veronica sit down on the couch next to Valerie.
The little girl furrows her eyebrows when she looks at her brother.

"Mommy why is Freddie asleep now? I want to show him my room"

"He's tired sweetheart"

Valerie groans and falls into her mom's side. "Does this mean I have to wait?"

"I'm afraid so sweetie"

"Fine" she mumbles "Uhm, mommy, now that Freddie is asleep, can we play please?"

"But we have to be quiet okay? No screaming"

Valerie squeals. She kisses Veronica's cheek and jumps off the couch. She runs into her old room, grabs a few Barbies and then runs back. Veronica and Archie already sit on the floor. Valerie giggles. She sits down in Archie's lap and hands both of her parents a Barbie.

Veronica smiles. Even a few tears develop in her eyes.
"This reminds me so much of the days when you were little Val"

"Why?"