Chapter 7

Archie did everything Veronica wanted. It took him a few days to finish the nursery but the end result was great.
He painted the walls in a light pink, he built a crib, a rocking chair, a changing table and a dresser. Every single piece of furniture in that room had to be white. He hung pictures of princesses, cute kittens and the first sonogram picture of their daughter on the walls. To finish Veronica's dream nursery he put a round, fluffy rug in the middle of the room.
She loved it and she thanked him but when he was done she wanted him to leave. She was grateful but she didn't want him close.
He enjoyed every second he could spent with her. He loved staring at her stomach and imagining what his little girl will look like.

Veronica loves being pregnant. She is never alone and she always has someone to talk to. She tells her little girl stories and discusses everything that comes into her mind. Even though she never gets a verbal reaction, her baby does kick sometimes in response which always makes Veronica laugh.

The longest part of her pregnancy was easy and she felt great but now she's 38 weeks and wants the baby out.
She's cramping, her back hurts and her feet are swollen. She lies on her back on the couch, quietly wincing in pain while rubbing her stomach.

"Girly! Can't you be nice to mommy please?"

She groans when she hears a knock on the door. She gets up slowly and walks to the door, holding her back.

"Great it's you" she says when she sees Archie. "You're literally the last person I wanna see right now"
Archie booked a room in New York when Veronica was 36 weeks pregnant. Against her wishes he decided to stay New York until his daughter is born. He takes online classes to keep up with his college work.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm 38 weeks pregnant so no, I'm not okay! My cramps are getting worse and worse, my back is killing me and my hands and feet are swollen"

"Is there anything I can do for you?"

"Yes, leave me alone"

"I'm serious Veronica"

"Me too!"

Just as she wanted to turn around to go back to her couch an indescribable pain rushes through her body. She moves her hands to her stomach and loses her balance. Archie wraps his arms around her. Normally she would push him away but she is in so much pain right now that she accepts it.

"Let's go to the hospital" .

"Mhm" she mumbles.

He helps her into his truck before he gets in himself. He's overwhelmed with the situation but tries to stay calm for Veronica and their baby.

In the hospital he speaks to the first person he sees, who's apparently a nurse.
"My girl....... friend is 38 pregnant and she feels a lot of pain in her lower stomach and back"

"I'm not your girlfriend!" she hisses.

"Do you want to explain our story right now?"

"Shut up!"

"Follow me" the nurse says. She has a little grin on her face. She's been working at this hospital for a while and she has seen a lot of angry, hormonal pregnant women but not one brought her ex husband or ex boyfriend. What she doesn't know though is that Archie, the ex, is also the father of the baby.

•••

Veronica lies on the examination bed. Tears are running down her face. She's in great pain and scared that something is wrong. She wishes she could hold her moms hand now or Betty's but they're not with her right now. She glances over to Archie. He seems nervous too.