Chapter 27

Archie is biting his nails. Betty just called. She's in the hospital with Veronica and Hermione. The baby is coming and he's stuck in traffic with Valerie.

"Daddy are you okay?" Valerie asks quietly.

"Uhm yes princess. Just a little nervous. When you were born I was at the hospital in time"

"I'm sorry"

"It's not your fault sweetheart"

"Yes it is" she mumbles "To pick me up from school you had to leave mommy. So it is my fault"

"Valerie Victoria Lodge soon Andrews, it's not your fault. Stop saying that! It was mommy's wish to stay at home and it was my choice to leave her, okay?"

"Okay daddy"

Archie sighs. With ever passing second he gets more nervous. He looks at his watch. It's been 20 minutes since Betty called. The hospital is only a mile away and by now walking would probably be faster. So Archie pulls onto a Walmart parking lot. He helps Valerie out of the car and starts walking while holding his daughter's hand.

"Daddy slowly down. I can't walk that fast" Valerie whines while she tries to keep up with Archie. He sighs and picks her up before he starts running. Just a couple minutes later he reaches the hospital, out of breath and sweaty.

When he stands in front of Veronica's room, he sets Valerie down and grabs her hand. "Sweetheart, mommy may be crying or screaming okay? I just want you to be prepared"

"Why is mommy crying?"

"Mommy may be crying. Giving birth is painful my love but don't worry, mommy will be fine. You and auntie Betty will do something fun and the next time you'll see mommy, your baby brother will be here"

Valerie nods before she grabs the door handle and walks into the room. "Mommy!" Valerie smiles.

"Hi sweetie. Where is daddy?"

"Here" Archie says and walks in "I'm so so so sorry baby. We were stuck in traffic so we walked, well run here and -"

"It's okay Archiekins. Just come here"

Betty smiles and places Veronica's hand into his. She pats his back before she walks to Valerie. "Say bye to mommy Val and then we two go have ice cream"

Valerie squeals. She gets on her tiptoes and kisses Veronica's cheek. "Bye mommy"

"Bye honey. I love you"

"I love you too mommy" Valerie giggles before she takes Betty's hand into hers.

"You got this V" Betty laughs. She squeezes Valerie's hand before she takes the little girl out of the room.

Archie kisses Veronica's knuckles a couple of times before he apologizes again. "I'm so so sorry baby"

"Archie it's okay. It's not your fault and you're here now but before anything happens, kiss me"

Archie chuckles and leans down. He kisses her softly when Veronica suddenly bites into his bottom lip.

"Ouch!"

"Sorry, contraction" she groans.

"How may centimeters?"

"Seven"

"Already?!?" Archie gasps.

"Mhm"

"Archie" Hermione grins "calm down honey"

"Y-yes ma'am"

Meanwhile Betty and Valerie reached a little cafe down the street. They share a big bowl of chocolate ice cream with sprinkles and strawberries.
"Are you excited Val?" Betty asks.