Family BBQ ✓

Peter was used to Stark hosting big parties and gatherings, so when someone suggested a small family party, he didn't think Tony would agree.

However, here they were, a gathering of twenty-seven heroes, agents and children, but a small gathering - to Stark's standards anyway.

Tony, Happy, Vision, Thor, Loki, Clint, Nathaniel, Rhodey, Bruce, Hope, Fury, and T'Challa all sat around in the large field around the back of the compound. Bucky, Maria and Scott were each stood at a barbecue cooking up some meat or another. The smell of chicken, sausages, burgers and ribs wafting together in the light wind to create a summery aroma. Pepper, Laura and Steve stood by a table preparing salads - pasta salads; potato salads; lettuce, cucumber, pepper, tomato and crouton salads - as well as buttering buns and cutting up cheese. Natasha was in the house finding the sauces to bring out while Sam grabbed around thirty plates from the kitchen - including the ones Peter had made (only the original Avengers, Maria and Wanda had one).

Peter, Wanda and Shuri were playing frisbee while the younger kids (Lila, Cassie and Cooper) ran around playing tag - Nathaniel was sat on his dad's lap as the archer joked around with the other men because he was too young to mess around with the other kids. Shuri claimed the two supers were cheating as Wanda used her powers to throw the frisbee and Peter jumped inhumanly high to catch it, flipping to land - so they stopped but had just as much fun. Soon they got bored and joined in the younger kids game of tag.

Tony and Bruce were talking about their latest experiment, Vision and Hope joining in occasionally, which Peter and Shuri overheard and dragged Wanda over to listen to. The witch got bored and started listening to Happy and Rhodey trading war stories about Tony - they certainly interested her. Everyone was in good spirits, even Fury, and having a laugh.

Dinner was served; the children, along with Peter, were berated for eating with their mouths open.

"Ooooh, Scottie's whipped!" Sam laughed, watching Hope and Scott who were curled up together. Hope had whispered something to Scott and he had replied instantaneously before jumping up to go get something for her.
"I am not!" Scott called over his shoulder, everyone laughed harder.
"If anyone here is whipped it's Tony for Pepper." Hope retorted.
"Oh come on Hope, Bucky and Steve are way worse!" The billionaire protested, pointing at the two stealing food off each others plates.
"Don't look at us, Nat is way more whipped for Maria." Suddenly everyone went silent.
"What did you say Rogers?" Natasha glared. Maria, Peter and Wanda were sat together snickering.
"Nothing Nat." Steve mumbled.
"Really? Because I thought you implied she was going soft." Peter stirred, Maria smirked, Natasha raised an eyebrow.
"Well Rogers? Do you think I'm going soft?" The redhead growled, Scott noticed the tense atmosphere as he came back and silently slipped back into his seat.
"N-not at all Nat. Just messing around." He practically whimpered.
"Better be." She snarled. "And if anyone is whipped it's Vision." She added in a more jovial tone.
"Can robots be in love?" Tony proposed.
"I don't think so." Bruce commented.
"Mr Vision isn't just a robot though. He has the mind stone in his head and is the direct descendant of JARVIS the AI. JARVIS had a rather complex personality, especially considering what he was. Thus, while Vision isn't a human, he isn't a robot either." Peter spoke up - Vision was dating his older sister after all, he couldn't have people questioning how Vision felt about the witch, she was insecure enough already.
"Peter, he's made metal and wires." Clint reminded him.
"Yet has the brain of all modern humans. My point is, even without looking at him, evidence points to the fact that he would be capable of emotions. Plus, he cries when sad stuff comes on TV and smiles when people say nice stuff to him so we know he has emotions. Love is an emotion."
"He has a point." Natasha shrugged.
"I'm right here." Vision grumbled, arm over Wanda's shoulders. She smiled at he little brother and ruffled his hair causing him to groan and Shuri to laugh.

The rest of the day went as any other family barbecue in the summer would go; fun, games, laughter and arguments. It was the perfect last day of summer before Peter went back to school.

A/N: the next five chapters are all really linked together